time dependent study of the powder compaction model does not converge

Aurora Jahan Nuclear Engineering, KTH

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

What I want to do: I am studying the powder compaction example given by Bridget Cunningham on COMSOL blog posts. The blog post can be found here. It comes with a PDF description file and an MPH model file. They can be found here.

I want to simulate this model for a time dependent case when the powder is compressed linearly with time.

Changes I made to the provided model:

1. Kept the physics definitions in the solid mechanics module the same.
  2. Created an interpolation function called disp_func and defined it to go from 0 mm at 0 seconds to 2 mm at 100 seconds.
  3. Then I created a variable called disp = disp_func(t)
  4. Then I defined the prescribed displacements to be -disp and disp on the top and bottom surface respectively.
  5. Added a time dependent solver. All the solver settings are given defaults except the output times are set to range(0, 1, 100).

The problem I am facing: The simulation stays stuck at 4% progress for hours. I don't understand what the problem is and how to address it. It looks to be quite a simple model with only one physics but it refuses to progress. Please give some advice on how to address this issue.

P.S. I cleared all built meshes and stored solutions when uploading the model file.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.