Issue with Thermal Expansion Simulation Using External Material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working on a simple geometry problem involving a rectangular solid where the temperature changes over the height of the structure. When I use the built-in linear elastic material model in COMSOL, I can easily add thermal expansion under the "Attributes" section in the Physics module. By defining the reference temperature (Tref) and the temperature (T), the simulation runs successfully, and I obtain the expected results.

However, when I attempt to use an external material with the same properties (including Tref and T), the results are zero, indicating that the thermal expansion effect is not being correctly applied. It seems that the thermal expansion needs to be activated or properly configured for the external material, but I am unsure how to do this.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.