Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Warning: Edge is much shorter than the specified minimum element size.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to mesh a 3D integrated concrete masonry block. The geometry is somewhat complex but the idea is that it is a layered apparatus: brick, foam, brick. I am trying to measure the R-value of this ICMU, so every resistance is important. When I meshed this to begin with, everything worked. I have now added a small layer of material in between at the contact of two materials to account for contact resistance. When I do this, the front of the block meshes great, but the identical backside has errors at 15 different faces. The error warnings in the progress frame are:

Mesh error (ftet1): Failed to generate mesh for domain.
Mesh warning (ftet1): Edge is much shorter than the specified minimum element size.
Mesh warning (ftet1): Face is (or has a narrow region that is) much smaller than the specified minimum element size.

All of the issues are at the filleted edges. Is there anyway to make the back mesh like the front. (The CAD part was imported from SolidWorks). I have attached screen shots displaying the front and back views of the part

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 2013年3月13日 GMT-4 13:56
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月13日 GMT-4 13:56
Hi

read the doc about the mesh settings, use feed mesh points an tweak the "Size" node (and add related size nodes to your mesh node)

You could mesh first the edges (or some) with edge mesh and a dimension sub node

meshing is almost an art more than a science to get it smooth, it requires some training and experiences (testing) so it comes with the use of the tool (any FEM tool by the way). You will gain too by following the excellent trining courses on meshing given by COMSOL, and to come to the mini-seminars at the COMSO Lconferences, that is where I do my training and maintennace learning ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi read the doc about the mesh settings, use feed mesh points an tweak the "Size" node (and add related size nodes to your mesh node) You could mesh first the edges (or some) with edge mesh and a dimension sub node meshing is almost an art more than a science to get it smooth, it requires some training and experiences (testing) so it comes with the use of the tool (any FEM tool by the way). You will gain too by following the excellent trining courses on meshing given by COMSOL, and to come to the mini-seminars at the COMSO Lconferences, that is where I do my training and maintennace learning ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.