Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plotting the mesh of a cut plane through a 3D model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey guys,

So i am currently doing some simulation involving parallel plate capacitors and i just want to see the difference between the meshes outside and within the capacitor.

I've tried to create a plot of the mesh in the "results" section but there isn't a way for me to plot the mesh. I can only plot from the "solutions". Am i approaching this from the wrong direction? Is there a way i can maybe direct the cut plane to take its "data" from the "mesh"? Any ideas guys?

I hope my questions are clear enough.

6 Replies Last Post 2016年4月27日 GMT-4 11:58

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月20日 GMT-4 02:31
Hello!

If you have a cut plane from your 3D solution, you can add a surface plot with geometry -> mesh quality (qual).

Ralf
Hello! If you have a cut plane from your 3D solution, you can add a surface plot with geometry -> mesh quality (qual). Ralf

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月20日 GMT-4 02:50
Hi

I have no other way known than to use the "filter" with a Boolean function such as (x>0) to see the cut for the positive X plane, or to cut your model with an internal boundary, then you get the mesh on the boundary

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have no other way known than to use the "filter" with a Boolean function such as (x>0) to see the cut for the positive X plane, or to cut your model with an internal boundary, then you get the mesh on the boundary -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月20日 GMT-4 19:08
Ah...i believe that did the trick.

Thank you for the prompt reply.
Ah...i believe that did the trick. Thank you for the prompt reply.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月20日 GMT-4 19:12
Hi Ivar,

I got what i needed from Ralf's suggestion but i am curious on your method. I am relatively new to COMSOL, so could you elaborate more on what you mean?

Is there a feature/function to be used in COMSOL or do you mean I could use a boolean operation/expression in a data set?

Lu Quan
Hi Ivar, I got what i needed from Ralf's suggestion but i am curious on your method. I am relatively new to COMSOL, so could you elaborate more on what you mean? Is there a feature/function to be used in COMSOL or do you mean I could use a boolean operation/expression in a data set? Lu Quan

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月21日 GMT-4 01:02
Hi

here is a simple example, by defualt you have the surface mesh appeaing, you can adapt that from the Mesh node tabs

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi here is a simple example, by defualt you have the surface mesh appeaing, you can adapt that from the Mesh node tabs -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年4月27日 GMT-4 11:58
One way to plot mesh on plane through 3D model is to create data set called "Mesh":
Right click "Data Sets" in v5.2 and select "Mesh"

Then create 3D Plot Group:
Right click "Results" in v.5.2 and select "3D Plot Group"
Data set for the 3D Plot Group should be the mesh data set you just created.

Next create Mesh node under the 3D Plot Group:
Right click "3D Plot Group" and select "Mesh"
Data set for the Mesh node should be "From parent"

Finally, use logical expression under "Element filter" in the Mesh node:
For example, the expression could be z>1 to show elements with z>1.
The element filter effectively creates a "cut plane" and reveals the elements cutting that plane.

The elements can be colored by element quality:
3D Plot Group > Mesh node > Color > Element color : Quality
Or the elements can be colored white, and the edges of the elements black:
3D Plot Group > Mesh node > Color > Element color : White
3D Plot Group > Mesh node > Color > Wireframe color : Black

-DW
One way to plot mesh on plane through 3D model is to create data set called "Mesh": Right click "Data Sets" in v5.2 and select "Mesh" Then create 3D Plot Group: Right click "Results" in v.5.2 and select "3D Plot Group" Data set for the 3D Plot Group should be the mesh data set you just created. Next create Mesh node under the 3D Plot Group: Right click "3D Plot Group" and select "Mesh" Data set for the Mesh node should be "From parent" Finally, use logical expression under "Element filter" in the Mesh node: For example, the expression could be z>1 to show elements with z>1. The element filter effectively creates a "cut plane" and reveals the elements cutting that plane. The elements can be colored by element quality: 3D Plot Group > Mesh node > Color > Element color : Quality Or the elements can be colored white, and the edges of the elements black: 3D Plot Group > Mesh node > Color > Element color : White 3D Plot Group > Mesh node > Color > Wireframe color : Black -DW

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.