Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Vibrationg structure in fluid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone,

This is my first project with Comsol so I have no clue about what I am doing really. My questions are most likely very simple/stupid I'm sure anyone here can help me.

What I want to do is basicly to do exactly what is done in this paper: www.comsol.com/papers/1592/

Simulation of a Vibrating Plate-based Micromixer

I couldn't find any tutorial that does have a vibrating structure interfacing with liquid. I am using 2D model FSI but I don't know how to make the plate vibrate. I guess that I need to give it sin() velosity in (y) direction, but I don't know how.

It is probably really basic but this is absolutely my first time I'm dealing with comsol so please help me.

I have done some of the basic tutorials on SFI but none of the step by step tutorials are similar to what I need.

Any information will be really really valuable to me. I really appreciate if anyone can point me to a tutorial or something that helps.

Thanks a lot,
Monica

4 Replies Last Post 2015年10月16日 GMT-4 00:47

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月26日 GMT-4 08:22
Hi Monica

Have you taken a look at the model library? There is a model on a vibrating beam in fluid flow, just search for "vibrating beam" and you should find it under Fluid-Structure Interaction.

Since this is the first model you want to do, you should start out slow. Otherwise you will just get overwhelmed and the result will suffer.
--
Hope this helps
--
/RVN
Hi Monica Have you taken a look at the model library? There is a model on a vibrating beam in fluid flow, just search for "vibrating beam" and you should find it under Fluid-Structure Interaction. Since this is the first model you want to do, you should start out slow. Otherwise you will just get overwhelmed and the result will suffer. -- Hope this helps -- /RVN

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月26日 GMT-4 19:49
Hello RVN,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I tried to do that simulation and I'm able to follow it to the end, however I still don't know how to change it to fit my specifications.

Some parts of the tutorials I just followe but I didn't quite get why I did what I did.

one of my concerns is the scale I'll be modeling in microscale where as this model is in meter.

For one thing I found that in the discretization section of the module there are 3 options P1+P1, P2+P1 or P2+P3 this model uses P2+P1 (Secondorder velocity and first order Pressure). I'm not sure for my model which one I need to pick.

I was imagining to have something with fixed magnitude I need to give it sinusoidal displace ment or velosity. In this exam they we have step and Gaussian Pulse which I'm not quite getting.

I feel very confused right now.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and help.
Monica
Hello RVN, Thanks a lot for the reply. I tried to do that simulation and I'm able to follow it to the end, however I still don't know how to change it to fit my specifications. Some parts of the tutorials I just followe but I didn't quite get why I did what I did. one of my concerns is the scale I'll be modeling in microscale where as this model is in meter. For one thing I found that in the discretization section of the module there are 3 options P1+P1, P2+P1 or P2+P3 this model uses P2+P1 (Secondorder velocity and first order Pressure). I'm not sure for my model which one I need to pick. I was imagining to have something with fixed magnitude I need to give it sinusoidal displace ment or velosity. In this exam they we have step and Gaussian Pulse which I'm not quite getting. I feel very confused right now. Thanks a lot for your suggestions and help. Monica

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月6日 GMT-5 16:27
HI, Monica
would you mind to let me know if you are still working on this problem. I have finish this case with Prof Sun.
Peter
HI, Monica would you mind to let me know if you are still working on this problem. I have finish this case with Prof Sun. Peter

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年10月16日 GMT-4 00:47
Hi Wang,
I was wondering if you were successful in solving this problem. I am working on something similar. If you have been successful it would be appreciated if you would share your model.
Thanks,
Amir
Hi Wang, I was wondering if you were successful in solving this problem. I am working on something similar. If you have been successful it would be appreciated if you would share your model. Thanks, Amir

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.