Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particle Tracing Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am using COMSOL 4.3a and I am having trouble with the particle tracing module.

I have built a geometry in which I solve for the Electric potential. I now want to apply a Dielectrophoretic force on some particles flowing through this geometry but I am facing some issues. The geometry is so designed that it has electric field gradients for the particle motion due to Dielectrophoresis.

To set up the Particle Tracing module, I use the inbuilt Dielectrophoretic Force option and input the details of the permittivities of the particle and the medium. I also define an input and output for the particles in the geometry. In the Input tab, I provide the initial velocity of the particles as zero.

Every time I use an initial velocity of zero for the particles, there is no observed particle trajectory even though hand calculations suggest that there should be dielectrophoretic motion of the particles. When I change the initial velocity of the particles to a non-zero value, the particles move in the system but they move as if under constant velocity irrespective of the force acting on them. Has anyone else faced the same issues before?

0 Replies Last Post 2013年4月16日 GMT-4 13:08
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Nitya

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.