Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deformation in a Tire

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to model a tire going over a ledge and examining the stresses and deformation caused by the impact of the ledge with the tire. I am applying applying 5000 N of force that is dependent on the location of the ledge. In other words, the force in the x direction is 5000*cos(theta) in the x direction and 5000*sin(theta) in the z direction, where theta varies between 220 and 270 degrees. There is also an internal pressure being applied of 70 psi.

I am having trouble actually getting the deformation to occur. The force is applied in the area where the ledge meets the tire, but no deformation actually occurs.

If you need more information I will gladly provide it. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The attached picture is one of the results I am getting. A force is applied in that small cut-out region that represent where the ledge meets the tire. As shown, stresses are caused by the force, but no deformation occurs. The inside part of the tire has a fixed constraint on it, which is where the metal would be on a real tire.

1 Reply Last Post 2013年4月29日 GMT-4 17:07
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月29日 GMT-4 17:07
Make sure you are scaling displacements appropriately in the results node. Expand that node, right click on the Surface plot, and select Deformation (if it’s not selected already, in which case you’ll see it as a sub-node under the surface plot).

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Make sure you are scaling displacements appropriately in the results node. Expand that node, right click on the Surface plot, and select Deformation (if it’s not selected already, in which case you’ll see it as a sub-node under the surface plot). Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.