Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2-Step Full Field followed Scattered Field Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to solve for the scattered electric field from a gold nanoparticle on a semiconducting substrate, using a 2-step process identical to the example file "Scatterer on Substrate." When solving for my model I get an error saying the field cannot be solved for in one of the PML domains, I have tried to determine why this error is occurring and compared my model to the example file but the setup seems to be identical between the two (except for the geometry of course).

Has anyone experienced this problem before and have an ideas of what the error might be? I am quite puzzled by this because it works in the example file, but not the one I have built.

Thank you,

Curtis

3 Replies Last Post 2013年9月30日 GMT-4 23:10

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月5日 GMT-4 13:53
After some more investigating I have found the solution to my problem. For anybody who is having the same problem, the solution to my problem was that I did not define the field as zero in the PML regions.
After some more investigating I have found the solution to my problem. For anybody who is having the same problem, the solution to my problem was that I did not define the field as zero in the PML regions.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月5日 GMT-4 13:53

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年9月30日 GMT-4 23:10
Hi Curtis,

I am also following the same tutorial " scatter on substrate" and trying to solve the absorption cross section of metal nanoparticles. Like you said, the settings are identical except for the particle size which I changed to small one. I get strange results. I am pretty sure this is coming from the meshing size related to the particle size. But I am not sure how to choose proper meshing size in my case. I don't know whether it is same problem or not Besides the field in PML regions.

Thanks.
Kuai

Hi Curtis, I am also following the same tutorial " scatter on substrate" and trying to solve the absorption cross section of metal nanoparticles. Like you said, the settings are identical except for the particle size which I changed to small one. I get strange results. I am pretty sure this is coming from the meshing size related to the particle size. But I am not sure how to choose proper meshing size in my case. I don't know whether it is same problem or not Besides the field in PML regions. Thanks. Kuai [QUOTE] After some more investigating I have found the solution to my problem. For anybody who is having the same problem, the solution to my problem was that I did not define the field as zero in the PML regions. [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.