Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

ALE moving mesh + electrostatics force calculation are in conflict

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone,
thanks for all the support or tips you may give on the following problem.
I am trying to couple three different modules, to monitor the displacement of a bubble in a channel in 3D under the effect of an electric field.
I solve the displacement of the bubble through a differential equation in the ODE solver, for which one term is given by the electromagnetic force computed by the electrostatic module at each position of the bubble.
The force computation is done on the domain of the bubble. The bubble boundaries move with the prescribed mesh displacement given by the solution of the ODE solver. I use a ALE moving mesh to move the bubble.
I have verified the single physics/modules together and coupled two by two. The ODE and ALE work fine together with an arbitrary force not given by the electrostatic module. The ODE and electrostatic work well together and now that I am coupling the ALE with the electrostatic module, Comsol does not recognize the Maxwell stress tensor anymore (the variable mod1.es.unTz evaluated on the boundaries of the bubble.
I don't understand why with adding the moving mesh ALE, the simulation just doesn't start anymore and says it fails to evaluate the variable. I attach my model file for clarifications. I hope anybody out there can point some way around this.
Thanks a lot.

Stefano

2 Replies Last Post 2014年3月6日 GMT-5 07:18

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年7月17日 GMT-4 11:20
For anybody who might have encountered a similar problem, switching to version 4.3 solved my issue.

For anybody who might have encountered a similar problem, switching to version 4.3 solved my issue.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月6日 GMT-5 07:18
Hello Stefano
Have you solved the electrostatics and moving mesh coupling problem?
Thanks a lot
Deng
Hello Stefano Have you solved the electrostatics and moving mesh coupling problem? Thanks a lot Deng

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.