Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Normalize field by value of the same field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

what I'm trying to do is to divide the normE field that comes from a double parametric sweep solution by a (local) maximum of the same field, at best without exporting the data. It's a 2D Mode Analysis for EM-waves.

So far I managed to get the value I want to normalize with from a "Maximum" DataSet (the max node actually calculates the max of a CutLine2D, if that's of interest here). I can even plot the maxima together with the profile of the normE field, see attached image. All I need to know now is how to divide the normE coming from the solution dataset by the normE value coming from the maxium dataset. Something like "(solution2.emw.normE)/(max1.emw.normE)" as a plot expression should do it. I also tried the "Join DataSet" Node to join solution2 and max1, but I can't select the max1 node (probably because both solutions consist of completely different types of values...). Do you have any suggestions?

I feel like I'm overlooking something incredibly simple and all that is missing is a boring expression?!

best

0 Replies Last Post 2013年7月19日 GMT-4 11:51
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kristjan Leosson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.