Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question in example of "Block Verification Model "

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have two questions on this example,

1) I found that the parametric sweep in this model is like this,
8e-3*{1e-3 range(0.05,0.05,1)}
It means that the prescribed displacement goes from 0 to 8 in 20 steps,
but what is the meaning of the number of 1e-3? Why I cannot write the parametric sweep into
8e-3*{0 range(0.05,0.05,1)}, I tried in the comsol, error shows.
Why the first step should be 1e-3?

2) I am trying to replace the prescribed displacement in the z direction with a dynamic cyclic loading, such as
F(t)=10kPa*sin(10*pi*t), and then add a time dependent "study" in this model, there appears an error, showing

Failed to compute elastic strain variables.
- Feature: Time dependent solver 1(sol2/t1)
- Error: Failed to compute elastic strain variables.

I promise it is a typical and classical error when using plasticity module or soil plasticity module.
At first, I am doubting that that there are some problems for the plasticity module when using time dependent analysis, but after I read this thread
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/37035/
it seems that my first feeling was wrong.

So anyone can explain to me where does the error come from? How to solve this problem?
Any suggestions from you guys....

Sincerely thanks for all.

0 Replies Last Post 2013年7月26日 GMT-4 00:59
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Chaney Long

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.