Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Force required to constrain bending

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, suppose I have a tube fixed at each end. COMSOL can compute the sag of that due to gravity. No problem.

But suppose that sag is constrained - the sagging tube has reached the floor and can sag no more. This has me a bit stumped - because I dont know a priori how much of the tube is going to be lying along the floor. All I know is the max possible displacement.

What I want to determine is the force on the floor (as opposed to the rest of the weight that would be carried by the supports either end of tube).

Any suggestions?

2 Replies Last Post 2014年1月23日 GMT-5 16:47

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年1月22日 GMT-5 18:33
I tried adding a contact pair, but seems like COMSOL pushes the tube right through it.
I tried adding a contact pair, but seems like COMSOL pushes the tube right through it.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年1月23日 GMT-5 16:47
Hi John,

You defined the contact pair but you did not use it. Activate it through Solid Mechanics > Pairs > Contact. When I activated contact the analysis did not converge right away but I hope it gets you one step closer to the solution. You can try applying the load more gradually for example.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi John, You defined the contact pair but you did not use it. Activate it through Solid Mechanics > Pairs > Contact. When I activated contact the analysis did not converge right away but I hope it gets you one step closer to the solution. You can try applying the load more gradually for example. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.