Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem when trying to simulate solar cell

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone, I am new to Comsol and am trying to simulate a simple silicon solar cell using the semiconductor module. I can setup the PN junction and find IV curves with no problem. However, when I try to enter an electron and hole generation rate using the "User Defined Recombination" the solution won't converge. I get the following error message:

Failed to find a solution for the initial parameter.
Maximum number of Newton iterations reached.
Returned solution is not converged.
- Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1)

I am using a generation rate of 10^32 [1/(m^3*s)] and the volume of my cell is 10^-17 [m^3], corresponding to the generation of 10^15 carriers per second. Assuming no recombination, this will lead to a current of approximately 1 mA. If I use a lower generation rate (10^25 [1/(m^3*s)] ) the solution will converge, but I get negligible photocurrent. I have attached my simulation. Any help, or tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks
-Kevin

4 Replies Last Post 2016年6月6日 GMT-4 10:25
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年2月21日 GMT-5 15:31
Hi Kevin, when solving this type of problem with the Semiconductor Module you often need to ramp up the magnitude of the recombination rate using the "Auxiliary sweep" option in the Stationary study step settings. In your case, this results in a parametric sweep over 2 parameters. The model will take longer to solve but it will be much easier for the solver to find a converged solution.

In your specific model, the mesh also needs refining. You can refer to the attached model.

Dan
Hi Kevin, when solving this type of problem with the Semiconductor Module you often need to ramp up the magnitude of the recombination rate using the "Auxiliary sweep" option in the Stationary study step settings. In your case, this results in a parametric sweep over 2 parameters. The model will take longer to solve but it will be much easier for the solver to find a converged solution. In your specific model, the mesh also needs refining. You can refer to the attached model. Dan

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年2月24日 GMT-5 19:10
Thank you very much for your reply, Dan, it was very helpful! I'm sure I will have a lot more questions in the future. For the time being, I was wondering how to go about modelling the effect of surface recombination. There doesn't appear to be a node devoted to this. Is there a strategy for using the "User Defined Recombination" node to account for surface recombination?
-Kevin
Thank you very much for your reply, Dan, it was very helpful! I'm sure I will have a lot more questions in the future. For the time being, I was wondering how to go about modelling the effect of surface recombination. There doesn't appear to be a node devoted to this. Is there a strategy for using the "User Defined Recombination" node to account for surface recombination? -Kevin

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年7月20日 GMT-4 11:29
Hi Kevin,

I am also a new to this software,and trying to learn the basic of PN junction simulation can you please guide me how to construct a pn junction diode and simulate the IV characteristic .if possible please send me the mail with details at hemghosh04@gmail.com.

Thanks

Hemanta Ghosh
Hi Kevin, I am also a new to this software,and trying to learn the basic of PN junction simulation can you please guide me how to construct a pn junction diode and simulate the IV characteristic .if possible please send me the mail with details at hemghosh04@gmail.com. Thanks Hemanta Ghosh

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月6日 GMT-4 10:25
Hi Kevin Boyd,
I am actually designing a solar cell by using silicon meterial but stuck into how to create pn junction. And how to calculate absorption coeffecient for any cell. I request you please help me in this regard or can i get your email so that would be able to discuss properly.
Thank you.
Hi Kevin Boyd, I am actually designing a solar cell by using silicon meterial but stuck into how to create pn junction. And how to calculate absorption coeffecient for any cell. I request you please help me in this regard or can i get your email so that would be able to discuss properly. Thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.