Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

time dependent study for sinusoidal wave

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I'm trying to simulate my module in 2D axis of COMSOL version 4.3 in joule heating physics with sinusoidal input voltage of { V0*sin(2*pi*50*t)} and for the frequency of 50 Hz it will takes 0.02 second for full wave . so i must use small time step of around 0.0001sec. . i have problem when i increase the time to more than 5 second with step of 0.0001 sec .

I need to simulate my module for time between 0 sec until 300 second with time step of 0.0001. as times: range(0,0.0001,300)s
So it needs around 3 million step to get the full result and i think it's difficult to that .

is ther are any way to get it in the transient study so i can check the time that need to arrive the steady state temperature .

best regards ,

6 Replies Last Post 2014年4月22日 GMT-4 15:38
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月3日 GMT-4 04:35
It is probably much more effective to do this in a seggregated way. In a first step perform a frequency domain study to get the heat production and in second time dependent step calculate the temperature effect.

Or alternatively you can do a frequency-transient study.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
It is probably much more effective to do this in a seggregated way. In a first step perform a frequency domain study to get the heat production and in second time dependent step calculate the temperature effect. Or alternatively you can do a frequency-transient study. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月3日 GMT-4 10:04
Dear Edgar,

I tried the frequency transient study and i got result .

Thanks alot
Dear Edgar, I tried the frequency transient study and i got result . Thanks alot

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月16日 GMT-4 03:35
Dear Edgar J. Kaiser,

Thank you for helping me , i did my study in frequency-transient study because by default it works as sinusoidal pulse response .
now i need the input voltage as rectangular or triangular wave. i tried to call triangular wave from function but it didn't work ., because the frequency is already defined in the study.

Best regards,
Dear Edgar J. Kaiser, Thank you for helping me , i did my study in frequency-transient study because by default it works as sinusoidal pulse response . now i need the input voltage as rectangular or triangular wave. i tried to call triangular wave from function but it didn't work ., because the frequency is already defined in the study. Best regards,

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月16日 GMT-4 04:32
Hazlee,

for any non-harmonic waveforms you have to do a time domain study.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hazlee, for any non-harmonic waveforms you have to do a time domain study. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月22日 GMT-4 14:19
Dear Edgar,

Thank you helping. for periodic triangular and rectangular wave i used them from function in definitions. then in frequency transient study i determine the frequency.
i want to ask about sinusoidal wave form in frequency transient study when i enter avalue for electric potential is it RMS value or PEAK value?
for example if i need to enter 400*sin(2*pi*f*t) in frequency transient study that Vpeak=400 ,
or i should enter Vrms=400/sqt2

regards
Hazlee
Dear Edgar, Thank you helping. for periodic triangular and rectangular wave i used them from function in definitions. then in frequency transient study i determine the frequency. i want to ask about sinusoidal wave form in frequency transient study when i enter avalue for electric potential is it RMS value or PEAK value? for example if i need to enter 400*sin(2*pi*f*t) in frequency transient study that Vpeak=400 , or i should enter Vrms=400/sqt2 regards Hazlee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月22日 GMT-4 15:38

Hazlee, what you set is the peak value.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hazlee, what you set is the peak value. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.