Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

convective heat transfer on a sphere

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey guys,

I'm writing a simulation of freeze drying for my bachelor thesis.

In my bachelor-thesis, i’m looking at a system with a particle of pure ice (T=230 K), which is exposed to a ingoing water vapor mass flow (T=240 K, mass flow=const.) under reduced pressure (10 Pa). I’m studying the change of the outgoing mass flow, which is caused by the presence of the particle, and I’m also looking at the time dependent temperature distribution inside the particle. The steam shall heat the particle, the supplied energy of the steam leads to sublimation of the ice.

I orientated myself on the simulation from the model library:
www.comsol.com/model/a-transie...analysis-of-freeze-drying-3924

I use the physics "conjugate heat transfer" for the heat transfer in the particle and the mass flow, "transport of diluted species" for the concentration distribution inside the system, and "deformed geometry" for the moving of the sublimation front of the particle. The simulation works, but the whole particle stays at a constant temperature and won't shrink. I use the ideal gas equation for defining the BC of temperature on the particle surface. I think something is wrong with my combination of the physics. If somebody could help me, I would be very thankful. I already tried everyting... I uploaded the simulation:

www.file-upload.net/download-8787063/05.04-convective-heat-transfer-sphere.rar.html

Best regards,

Andreas Schäfer

0 Replies Last Post 2014年4月5日 GMT-4 15:08
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Andreas Schäfer

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.