Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Poisson and Nernst-Planck equation coupling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a problem in coupling Poisson's equation and Nernst-Planck equation.

This is a very simple case. In my problem, I focus on the concentration in the dilute solution with applied electric field. The electric potential allied on the two electrodes are stationary. No reaction or flux in the system. The concentration of the solution is 1M, electric potential difference between two electrode is 10V.

Since this is a stationary problem, I set 1-D(just a line) with two physics, poisson equation and NP Equation, However, I can not get the reasonable plot, so how can I get the plot of the concentration vs position.

My model is attached.

Many thanks

4 Replies Last Post 2014年4月13日 GMT-4 10:39

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月11日 GMT-4 03:55
You have a problem with the units both in the Poisson-Boltzmann and Nernst-Planck equation. And you have not given the units of the global parameters.

Also, your interval is 1 m long, which makes no sense, i.e. the thickness of the double layer is usually of the order of nanometers (in 1.0 mM solution 10 nm).

Since you have no flux, ionic concentrations follow Boltzmann distribution, and the source term in the Poisson equation becomes -2*c_bulk*sinh(zF/RT*u). You cannot use Nernst-Planck equation because that assumes electroneutrality which contradicts with the Poisson equation.

The problem is also rather stiff, i.e. there are stability issues in the solution.

Attached my file with the boundary condition V(x=0) = 100 mV.

BR
Lasse
You have a problem with the units both in the Poisson-Boltzmann and Nernst-Planck equation. And you have not given the units of the global parameters. Also, your interval is 1 m long, which makes no sense, i.e. the thickness of the double layer is usually of the order of nanometers (in 1.0 mM solution 10 nm). Since you have no flux, ionic concentrations follow Boltzmann distribution, and the source term in the Poisson equation becomes -2*c_bulk*sinh(zF/RT*u). You cannot use Nernst-Planck equation because that assumes electroneutrality which contradicts with the Poisson equation. The problem is also rather stiff, i.e. there are stability issues in the solution. Attached my file with the boundary condition V(x=0) = 100 mV. BR Lasse

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月11日 GMT-4 18:37
Hi Lasse,

Thanks for your help and I download your attachment. However I can not open it since my COMSOL version is 4.3b. I hope to understand this problem from your model, can you send me the screenshots or details in docs? Really appreciate it!

Best regards,

Larry
Hi Lasse, Thanks for your help and I download your attachment. However I can not open it since my COMSOL version is 4.3b. I hope to understand this problem from your model, can you send me the screenshots or details in docs? Really appreciate it! Best regards, Larry

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月11日 GMT-4 18:38
Hi Lasse,

Thanks for your help and I download your attachment. However I can not open it since my COMSOL version is 4.3b. I hope to understand this problem from your model, can you send me the screenshots or details in docs? Really appreciate it!

Best regards,

Larry
Hi Lasse, Thanks for your help and I download your attachment. However I can not open it since my COMSOL version is 4.3b. I hope to understand this problem from your model, can you send me the screenshots or details in docs? Really appreciate it! Best regards, Larry

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月13日 GMT-4 10:39
Attached with version 4.3b.

Lasse
Attached with version 4.3b. Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.