Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hysteresis Model 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I'm trying to simulate a Degaussing-process. For that I need to model a Hysteresis-curve, but so far, I havent been able to do so. I've been looking for examples, that model Hysteresis Curves in Comsol, but I can only find 2D-Models. However, since my model doesn't have any symmetries, I have to build the model in 3D. Does anybody have a hysteresis Model, thats built in 3 Dimensions? It would be great, if you could post it here!

Thanks in advance!

regards
Rook

10 Replies Last Post 2014年5月8日 GMT-4 09:34

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月14日 GMT-4 03:36
So, now I've tried to rebuild a 2D-Model i've found in 3D, to see if the PDEs still work, but I always get the Error Message: "Failed to find consistent Initial Values". I have attached both the 2D and the 3D Model. It would be great if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

regards
Rook
So, now I've tried to rebuild a 2D-Model i've found in 3D, to see if the PDEs still work, but I always get the Error Message: "Failed to find consistent Initial Values". I have attached both the 2D and the 3D Model. It would be great if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong. regards Rook

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月14日 GMT-4 04:12
Hi Rook,

I just loaded "hysterese_example.mph" into versions 4.3.2.189 and 4.4.0.195 and it
works for me right away. See picture. I'am running Comsol on Linux.

Your PDE is simply f=0, right? Maybe you could try the "dode" interface.

Regards,

Jens
Hi Rook, I just loaded "hysterese_example.mph" into versions 4.3.2.189 and 4.4.0.195 and it works for me right away. See picture. I'am running Comsol on Linux. Your PDE is simply f=0, right? Maybe you could try the "dode" interface. Regards, Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月14日 GMT-4 04:40
Hi Jens,

hysterese_example.mph is a model I found in another Dicussion here, so of course it works ;)
My Problem is, that I have to build my model in 3D, but if I do so, I get error Messages or the Hysteresis-Curve looks weird. To test, if I can use the Differential Equations from hysteresis_example.mph in 3 Dimensions, I built hystersis_example_3D (which is basically the same as hysteresis_example.mph) but it doesn't work... Did you take a look at hysteresis_example_3D too? Does it work for you?

Also, I tried to use the "dode"-Interface just now, but it didn't work either.
I got the Error-message:

Nonlinear solver did not converge.
Maximum number of Newton iterations reached.
There was an error message from the linear solver.
The relative error (1.6e+006) is greater than the relative tolerance.
Time : 0
Last time step is not converged.
Hi Jens, hysterese_example.mph is a model I found in another Dicussion here, so of course it works ;) My Problem is, that I have to build my model in 3D, but if I do so, I get error Messages or the Hysteresis-Curve looks weird. To test, if I can use the Differential Equations from hysteresis_example.mph in 3 Dimensions, I built hystersis_example_3D (which is basically the same as hysteresis_example.mph) but it doesn't work... Did you take a look at hysteresis_example_3D too? Does it work for you? Also, I tried to use the "dode"-Interface just now, but it didn't work either. I got the Error-message: Nonlinear solver did not converge. Maximum number of Newton iterations reached. There was an error message from the linear solver. The relative error (1.6e+006) is greater than the relative tolerance. Time : 0 Last time step is not converged.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月14日 GMT-4 09:38
Hi Rook,

there are still some issue but I got running for ~75 time steps now:

Main points:
+ when using the direct solver you need "Gauge Fixing for A-field" under the mf-node
+ for transient calculation you need el. conductivity != 0 in all domains (for instance 1 S/m)

Also I gave the nonlinear solver more iterations.

The simulation is still somewhat bumpy and you will need to fine tune solver parameters
but I hope this gives you a start.

Regards

Jens
Hi Rook, there are still some issue but I got running for ~75 time steps now: Main points: + when using the direct solver you need "Gauge Fixing for A-field" under the mf-node + for transient calculation you need el. conductivity != 0 in all domains (for instance 1 S/m) Also I gave the nonlinear solver more iterations. The simulation is still somewhat bumpy and you will need to fine tune solver parameters but I hope this gives you a start. Regards Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月15日 GMT-4 03:33
Hi Jens,

Thank you so much for your help!
It's still not perfect, but It basically works now :)

I attached the Hysteresis Curve I produced :)

Regards
Rook
Hi Jens, Thank you so much for your help! It's still not perfect, but It basically works now :) I attached the Hysteresis Curve I produced :) Regards Rook

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月16日 GMT-4 07:38
So, now I've run into a new Problem. Since the Model I actually want to study doesn't have a Zylindrical symmetry, it doesn't really make sense to use zylindrical Coordinates like in Hysteresis_example_3D.mph.
But when I try to rebuild this Model in karthesian Coordinates, the simulation doesn't work. (I actually don't even get an Error Message, the Progress-Report simply stays at 0 %). My guess is, I might have done somthing wrong with the PDEs, but I'm not sure...

I attached the new Model. It would be great if someone could help me figure out what I did wrong this time :)

Regards
Rook
So, now I've run into a new Problem. Since the Model I actually want to study doesn't have a Zylindrical symmetry, it doesn't really make sense to use zylindrical Coordinates like in Hysteresis_example_3D.mph. But when I try to rebuild this Model in karthesian Coordinates, the simulation doesn't work. (I actually don't even get an Error Message, the Progress-Report simply stays at 0 %). My guess is, I might have done somthing wrong with the PDEs, but I'm not sure... I attached the new Model. It would be great if someone could help me figure out what I did wrong this time :) Regards Rook

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月22日 GMT-4 05:49
Hi

it is working for me, but convergence is slow. The time steps are so small that the
progess meter stays at 0% for a very long (wall clock) time. But if I look at
the log-window I see progress.

Regards

Jens
Hi it is working for me, but convergence is slow. The time steps are so small that the progess meter stays at 0% for a very long (wall clock) time. But if I look at the log-window I see progress. Regards Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年4月22日 GMT-4 13:49
Hi

That's exactly whats confusing me. Why does the Model with the cartesian Coordinates take such a long time, while the Model with the zylindric Coordinates is done in half a day? Is this normal, or does it mean theres some mistake in the cartesian Model? I don't really want to run a week long simulation, just to get a nonsense-result due to a falty model.
Is there a way, to make a Simulation run faster, or at least to check, if it works the way you intended to?

regards
Rook
Hi That's exactly whats confusing me. Why does the Model with the cartesian Coordinates take such a long time, while the Model with the zylindric Coordinates is done in half a day? Is this normal, or does it mean theres some mistake in the cartesian Model? I don't really want to run a week long simulation, just to get a nonsense-result due to a falty model. Is there a way, to make a Simulation run faster, or at least to check, if it works the way you intended to? regards Rook

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年5月2日 GMT-4 18:45
Hi Rook,
I have the same problem with 3D cartesian model with magnetic hysteresis effect. Did you reach any success on your convergency issue?
Regards,
Parnia
Hi Rook, I have the same problem with 3D cartesian model with magnetic hysteresis effect. Did you reach any success on your convergency issue? Regards, Parnia

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年5月8日 GMT-4 09:34
Hi Parnia,

unfortunately, I did not have any succes so far. By now im pretty sure, that there is somthing wrong with my equations. I have actually also tried different variations of the JA-Model, but so far non of it works.

Do you use a similar Model as I am, or have you tried a different approach?

regards Rook
Hi Parnia, unfortunately, I did not have any succes so far. By now im pretty sure, that there is somthing wrong with my equations. I have actually also tried different variations of the JA-Model, but so far non of it works. Do you use a similar Model as I am, or have you tried a different approach? regards Rook

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.