Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using Conjugate Heat Transfer for optimization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone,

I want to use the Conjugate heat transfer module to make an optimized design of fluid channels in a design domain. Inlet is water, and when the water flows inside the domain, the channel is optimized by giving N-S equations and heat transfer equations, the objective function of fluid energy dissipation and average temperature is minimized. The design domain is also the heat source. To determine where is the fluid and where is the solid, I used an artificial density gamma to vary from 0 to 1. 1 represents fluid and 0 represents solid. The material is set to be water in inlet and outlet. In design domain the gamma is applied to the density, heat capacity and thermal conductivity to determine where is water and where is the solid. But during the optimization, the error for unknown function of rho, Cp, k take turns to comes out, which are material density, heat capacity and thermal conductivity, respectively. I have defined them in material and in Fluid in the Conjugate Heat Transfer module. The fluid character are not from the material, but is customized by myself with the penalty. I really do not know why but always after 20 iterations the error for Cp, k and rho comes out.

Please help me solve this.

0 Replies Last Post 2014年5月9日 GMT-4 12:42
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Lo Jia

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.