Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Node number

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm solving a weak form problem on a membrane geometry. I meshed the geometry using "Free Triangular". Then solve the solution. Based on the solution, I calculated two derived values: (1) sqrt(u^2+v^2+w^2) which is the displacement and does not involve any derivatives (2) some quantity involves using "dtang()", which is tangential derivatives on the boundary.

I tried to export these two scalar fields to txt files, but I found that the node numbers in the two txt tiles are totally different.
scalar field (1)
"
% Model: test_case.mph
% Version: COMSOL 4.4.0.248
% Date: May 29 2014, 15:13
% Dimension: 3
% Nodes: 428----------------------------------- the node number is 428
% Expressions: 1
% Description:
% Length unit: m
"

scalar field (2)
"
% Model: test_case.mph
% Version: COMSOL 4.4.0.248
% Date: May 29 2014, 16:28
% Dimension: 3
% Nodes: 512----------------------------------- the node number is 512
% Expressions: 1
% Description:
% Length unit: m
"

I'm using the same mesh, why the node number is different? Is is because (2) use "dtang()"?

Thanks a lot.

0 Replies Last Post 2014年5月29日 GMT-4 20:29
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jiacheng Wu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.