Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What is the difference between solving in one step and solving separately

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have built a modeling including two modules, one is laminar flow and the other is transport of diluted species. Strangely, I found there is a little difference for the results between solving these two modules together using one step and separately solving the two modules using two linked steps. Could you explain why this difference happened.

If so, when can I separately solve modeling? And when I need to solve them together? Thank you.

5 Replies Last Post 2014年6月12日 GMT-4 08:10
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年6月9日 GMT-4 23:24
Hi Yilong,

If a problem has two-way coupling then solving one Physics field in a Study by itself then solving the other in a different Study will yield different results than solving them together. When solved separately the results of the second Study will not be re-used to modify the first Physics model. Is that the case in your problem?

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Yilong, If a problem has two-way coupling then solving one Physics field in a Study by itself then solving the other in a different Study will yield different results than solving them together. When solved separately the results of the second Study will not be re-used to modify the first Physics model. Is that the case in your problem? Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年6月10日 GMT-4 15:04
Hi Nagi,

Thanks for your reply. I think I have gotten what you explained. Thus, that means, if the issue is single coupling, there is no difference between solving them separately and solving them together. Am I right?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Yilong
Hi Nagi, Thanks for your reply. I think I have gotten what you explained. Thus, that means, if the issue is single coupling, there is no difference between solving them separately and solving them together. Am I right? Thanks for your help. Regards, Yilong

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年6月10日 GMT-4 15:29
Yes provided that you solve them in the right order of course!
Yes provided that you solve them in the right order of course!

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年6月11日 GMT-4 17:46
Thank you so much.
Thank you so much.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年6月12日 GMT-4 08:10
Solving one-way coupled physics in consecutive steps should significantly reduce peak memory use compared to solving them with a fully coupled solution approach.
Jeff
Solving one-way coupled physics in consecutive steps should significantly reduce peak memory use compared to solving them with a fully coupled solution approach. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.