Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL giving me wrong Ks value!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am using the Richards Equation interface and there is an equation relating kappa (permeability) to k (hydraulic conductivity) which is written in the documentation but I have calculated by hand what I should be getting and it seems COMSOL is making a mistake. (I have also googled my equation and found that my hand calculations are confirmed elsewhere.) The equation states that:

kappa = k*mu/(rho*g)

where mu is the fluid dynamic viscosity (in my case 1E-3 Pa*s) and rho is the fluid density (in my case 1000 kg/m^3) and g is the gravitational acceleration (~9.8 m/s^2). My ks (k at saturation) is 6.94E-7 m/s, so my kappa at saturation should be 7.07E-14 m^2. I set my kappa as such, and sure enough it is showing me that "kappas" (saturated permeability) is 7.07E-14, and then when I check the saturated hydraulic conductivity it says that "ks" = 2.94E-4, which is off by several orders of magnitude.

Does anyone know why COMSOL might be using a different equation than it should be? I am sure that my math is right and all of the units are as they should be - I have no idea what the problem is!

Thanks,
Shoshana

3 Replies Last Post 2014年6月30日 GMT-4 16:06

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年6月30日 GMT-4 04:44
Hi,

I use my own PDE written Richard's equation, so cannot comment much.

It seems like the 2.94E-4 is the default Ks input into the permeability model by COMSOL. Try changing that to let us say 2.94E-12 and see if you now get 2.94E-12 m/s, no matter what your kappa value is. If this is the case, I suggest that you best ask the support.

Suresh
Hi, I use my own PDE written Richard's equation, so cannot comment much. It seems like the 2.94E-4 is the default Ks input into the permeability model by COMSOL. Try changing that to let us say 2.94E-12 and see if you now get 2.94E-12 m/s, no matter what your kappa value is. If this is the case, I suggest that you best ask the support. Suresh

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年6月30日 GMT-4 10:50
Hi Suresh,

You're totally right, thanks! I changed the value for kappa and got the same k as always, so it seems it doesn't care what the equation is, it's just keeping its own default value. I can change it manually but that doesn't change the kappa value - I have to set each one individually, as it appears that COMSOL is ignoring the equations and not making the connection between k and kappa. Glad I at least figured out the problem though!

Thanks for your help,
Shoshana
Hi Suresh, You're totally right, thanks! I changed the value for kappa and got the same k as always, so it seems it doesn't care what the equation is, it's just keeping its own default value. I can change it manually but that doesn't change the kappa value - I have to set each one individually, as it appears that COMSOL is ignoring the equations and not making the connection between k and kappa. Glad I at least figured out the problem though! Thanks for your help, Shoshana

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年6月30日 GMT-4 16:06
Hi,

Based on your observation, it is best that you contact COMSOL because you are using a predefined module and you may not know how it is dealt internally.

Suresh
Hi, Based on your observation, it is best that you contact COMSOL because you are using a predefined module and you may not know how it is dealt internally. Suresh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.