Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stress and strain tensors give RMS values?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a quick question about the stress and strain tensors in COMSOL. I have run a frequency domain study, so I have a load that is sinusoidal in time pushing on an object. I get values for the components of the stress and strain tensors from the structural mechanics module.

My question is: are these values for the stress and strain components taken as RMS values from the sinusoidal motion? Or are they taken from maximum displacement, etc.?

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 2014年7月2日 GMT-4 04:20
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年7月2日 GMT-4 04:20
Hi,

The results from a frequency domain analysis are complex valued, so that they contain phase information. What you see is as a default the real part of the quantity. You can for example try plotting solid.sx, real(solid.sx), imag(solid.sx), abs(solid.sx), and arg(solid.sx) to explore this.

Note that the phase angle at which the results are presented can be changed in the settings for the data set, using the field 'Solution at angle'. The value used in the expressions above is actually solid.sx*e^(i*phase), where the default value for 'phase' is zero, unless changed in the data set.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, The results from a frequency domain analysis are complex valued, so that they contain phase information. What you see is as a default the real part of the quantity. You can for example try plotting solid.sx, real(solid.sx), imag(solid.sx), abs(solid.sx), and arg(solid.sx) to explore this. Note that the phase angle at which the results are presented can be changed in the settings for the data set, using the field 'Solution at angle'. The value used in the expressions above is actually solid.sx*e^(i*phase), where the default value for 'phase' is zero, unless changed in the data set. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.