Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

converting a 3D helix to a 2D spiral

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I'm trying to define a spiral geometry in 2D (actually 5 co-centric spirals) by converting five 3D helices. I have defined Helix1, Helix2.... Helix5 and in the Work Plane I have created a cross-section at z=0 and converted to solid. Then I've exported a geometry file and saved it in the .mphbin format.
In the same model I added Component 2, this time in 2D, and imported there the .mphbin file. I have a problem now with specifying the materials, each helix (spiral) is made of different material. I cannot select different domains, to me it looks like the geometry is not a solid surface but just the contour lines that distinguish various spirals. If anyone had a similar problem and could give me an advice on how to solve it, I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you!
N

0 Replies Last Post 2014年9月1日 GMT-4 09:28
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Natalia Glowa

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.