Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Influence of SF6 gas pressure on Electric field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I am trying to simulate the effect of having SF6 gas at 5 bar pressure in a chamber. However, I do not see any effect of gas pressure on electric field i.e., whether SF6 gas is present at 5 bar pressure or at 1 atm, irrespectively I am getting the same electric field values. I intend to optimise this chamber and reduce its dimensions by understanding the influence pressurised SF6 gas will have on the electric field.

How do I make COMSOL understand that my gas (fluid) is at 5 bar pressure and so the computation should show me different values of Electric fields for different gas pressure??

Many thanks!

Kind regards
Tanumay Karmokar

3 Replies Last Post 2015年7月2日 GMT-4 02:44

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年9月16日 GMT-4 09:37
You would only expect an effect if the electromagnetic properties of the gas change as a function of pressure. If this is not described in the material properties or explicitly in the model, then indeed you will see no effect.
You would only expect an effect if the electromagnetic properties of the gas change as a function of pressure. If this is not described in the material properties or explicitly in the model, then indeed you will see no effect.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年9月16日 GMT-4 11:22
Even if the dielectric properties changed with pressure you wouldn't see an effect if you keep the electrodes at constant potential.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Even if the dielectric properties changed with pressure you wouldn't see an effect if you keep the electrodes at constant potential. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年7月2日 GMT-4 02:44
Hello!

I think you already solve the problem, since now we are in July 2015 and your post is on September 2014.

May i know how you overcome the problem since, i'm facing it right now. Any suggestion? Or advice for me?
Hello! I think you already solve the problem, since now we are in July 2015 and your post is on September 2014. May i know how you overcome the problem since, i'm facing it right now. Any suggestion? Or advice for me?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.