Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Shorting one end of three cables

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to simulate the experiment I do in the lab. I have one ends of 3 cables energized from 3 phase source while the other ends are shorted. I am running 2D simulation, therefore, does anyone have idea how can I short one ends of the cables in 2D?

Regards,
Akim

8 Replies Last Post 2014年9月22日 GMT-4 00:34

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年9月17日 GMT-4 00:50
Hi,

You can use the Electric Circuit, see the attached example.

Regards,
Dima.

--
Dima Apter
A2Z Consulting Ltd.
www.a2z-consulting.com
Hi, You can use the Electric Circuit, see the attached example. Regards, Dima. -- Dima Apter A2Z Consulting Ltd. www.a2z-consulting.com

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年9月17日 GMT-4 21:17
Dear Dima,

Thank you so much! I wonder what are External I Vs. U 1, Eormsxternal I Vs. U 2 and External I Vs. U 2 for? Are they for current waveforms or something else?

Best,
Akim
Dear Dima, Thank you so much! I wonder what are External I Vs. U 1, Eormsxternal I Vs. U 2 and External I Vs. U 2 for? Are they for current waveforms or something else? Best, Akim

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年9月17日 GMT-4 23:56
And also what is the difference between External U Vs. I 1 and External I Vs. U 1?
Thank you!
And also what is the difference between External U Vs. I 1 and External I Vs. U 1? Thank you!

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年9月18日 GMT-4 00:41
"External I vs. U" connects between the FEM coil and the spice circuit.

If you open Help window within COMSOL and then click on the feature node you will get the following:
"The External I vs. U feature connects an arbitrary voltage measurement (for example, a circuit terminal or circuit port boundary or a coil domain from another physics interface) as a source between two nodes in the electrical circuit. The resulting circuit current from the first node to the second node is typically coupled back as a prescribed current source in the context of the voltage measurement."

--
Dima Apter
A2Z Consulting Ltd.
www.a2z-consulting.com
"External I vs. U" connects between the FEM coil and the spice circuit. If you open Help window within COMSOL and then click on the feature node you will get the following: "The External I vs. U feature connects an arbitrary voltage measurement (for example, a circuit terminal or circuit port boundary or a coil domain from another physics interface) as a source between two nodes in the electrical circuit. The resulting circuit current from the first node to the second node is typically coupled back as a prescribed current source in the context of the voltage measurement." -- Dima Apter A2Z Consulting Ltd. www.a2z-consulting.com

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年9月18日 GMT-4 00:43
I greatly appreciate your help!
I greatly appreciate your help!

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年9月18日 GMT-4 13:09
S
S

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年9月18日 GMT-4 20:10
Dear Dima,

Can you help me also in the following matter? My cables have metallic (aluminum) sheath and they are bonded at both ends and grounded, thus resulting in circulating currents in the sheaths. I wonder how can I model these circulating currents in the sheaths in Electrical circuits interface? Since these currents are induced and voltage between the two ends of sheaths is zero (or negligible) I cannot model them as current source or voltage source, right? Can current controlled current source be used to define sheath circulating currents?
Thanks!

Regards,
Akim
Dear Dima, Can you help me also in the following matter? My cables have metallic (aluminum) sheath and they are bonded at both ends and grounded, thus resulting in circulating currents in the sheaths. I wonder how can I model these circulating currents in the sheaths in Electrical circuits interface? Since these currents are induced and voltage between the two ends of sheaths is zero (or negligible) I cannot model them as current source or voltage source, right? Can current controlled current source be used to define sheath circulating currents? Thanks! Regards, Akim

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年9月22日 GMT-4 00:34
Probably you do not need the Electric Circuit in this case. You can try the following:
1. Build the sheaths as separate domains.
2. Define them as additional Single-Turn Coil.
3. Select "Voltage" in the "Coil Excitation" and set it zero.

Check if it will work for you.
Best Regards,
Dima.

--
Dima Apter
A2Z Consulting Ltd.
www.a2z-consulting.com
Probably you do not need the Electric Circuit in this case. You can try the following: 1. Build the sheaths as separate domains. 2. Define them as additional Single-Turn Coil. 3. Select "Voltage" in the "Coil Excitation" and set it zero. Check if it will work for you. Best Regards, Dima. -- Dima Apter A2Z Consulting Ltd. www.a2z-consulting.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.