Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how can I draw curved rectangles?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,First of all I'm using comsol 4.4. my design have several spheres around the same centre,and I'm trying to create curved rectangles ,among two spheres,can you help me please?

5 Replies Last Post 2014年10月12日 GMT-4 13:05

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月9日 GMT-4 00:01
I'm confused. When you said you have several "spheres" did you mean several "circles"? Are you working on a 3D model or a 2D model? I'm no expert in COMSOL but as far as I know, You can't draw rectangles in a 3D model because rectangle is a 2D object.

If you are working on a 2D space and want to have curved rectangles, do the following.

1. First draw the rectangle
2. go to geometry->Fillet
3. select the vertices in the rectangle you want to be curved and build it

Hope this helps
I'm confused. When you said you have several "spheres" did you mean several "circles"? Are you working on a 3D model or a 2D model? I'm no expert in COMSOL but as far as I know, You can't draw rectangles in a 3D model because rectangle is a 2D object. If you are working on a 2D space and want to have curved rectangles, do the following. 1. First draw the rectangle 2. go to geometry->Fillet 3. select the vertices in the rectangle you want to be curved and build it Hope this helps

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月9日 GMT-4 02:14

Hi everyone,First of all I'm using comsol 4.4. my design have several spheres around the same centre,and I'm trying to create curved rectangles ,among two spheres,can you help me please?

I understand that you want to draw a rectangle on the sphere surface. If that is the case, draw a block which crosses the sphere surface, convert the block into edges and delete all but the cross section edges.
[QUOTE] Hi everyone,First of all I'm using comsol 4.4. my design have several spheres around the same centre,and I'm trying to create curved rectangles ,among two spheres,can you help me please? [/QUOTE] I understand that you want to draw a rectangle on the sphere surface. If that is the case, draw a block which crosses the sphere surface, convert the block into edges and delete all but the cross section edges.

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月9日 GMT-4 14:35
Hello everyone,
thank you for you great help,I'm working in 2D area ,and I attached the picture,that I exactly want to draw,these blue and orange areas are supposed to be like pipes at the end.
The fillet option didn't work cause it curved the width of the rectangle ,is there a way to curve the length of it?
and Lasse Murtomäki, do you think that I should draw a block in this case too?
Thank you for your great help and I'm waiting for you comments.
Hello everyone, thank you for you great help,I'm working in 2D area ,and I attached the picture,that I exactly want to draw,these blue and orange areas are supposed to be like pipes at the end. The fillet option didn't work cause it curved the width of the rectangle ,is there a way to curve the length of it? and Lasse Murtomäki, do you think that I should draw a block in this case too? Thank you for your great help and I'm waiting for you comments.

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月12日 GMT-4 10:37
I looked at the picture you've attached and couldn't figure out a way to do it inside COMSOL. What you can do is to create your design inside Solidworks and export as a DXF file. (DXF is a 2D file format)
I looked at the picture you've attached and couldn't figure out a way to do it inside COMSOL. What you can do is to create your design inside Solidworks and export as a DXF file. (DXF is a 2D file format)

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月12日 GMT-4 13:05
Hi,

the circle geometry allows you to define a sector angle and a rotation. This allows you to draw the curved parts using two of those partial circles with a radius difference of 4mm. Using sector angle and rotation, you can then calculate the endpoints of the arcs and connect with lines, polygons with two points.
You only have to create one of those objects and then rotate it using an array of rotation angles. I would recommend to use a parameter table, so you can automatically reconfigure the pattern if needed. In the parameter table you can also do the trigonometric calculations.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, the circle geometry allows you to define a sector angle and a rotation. This allows you to draw the curved parts using two of those partial circles with a radius difference of 4mm. Using sector angle and rotation, you can then calculate the endpoints of the arcs and connect with lines, polygons with two points. You only have to create one of those objects and then rotate it using an array of rotation angles. I would recommend to use a parameter table, so you can automatically reconfigure the pattern if needed. In the parameter table you can also do the trigonometric calculations. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.