Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving mesh (ALE)

Nichith Chandrasekaran

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I am new to COMSOL. I am trying to couple moving mesh with magnetic field and electric field interface. My simulation consists of an armature that moves under the influence of Lorentz force. I used an ODE to calculate the position of the armature. Now i need to couple it with ale and move the armature. How can i do this coupling.
Because for each step the mesh has to be moved to new position and then all the other physics should be calculated and so on.

I read through some examples. they have used different study options for each physics and then use the result as initial values for the next. I cannot use this because for every time step the position changes and i should incorporate it simultaneously in the other physics. Can someone help me.

Thank you
Nichith

2 Replies Last Post 2014年11月3日 GMT-5 06:26
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月10日 GMT-4 20:36
Hi Nichith,

The model file shared by Sergei Yushanov on the following thread covered all the aspects of the modeling you are trying to do here.
www.comsol.com/community/forums/acdc-module/thread/48049/

Note that the physics used here is Magnetic Fields; but you can easily used the Magnetic and Electric Fields in the same way.

Nirmal Paudel
------------------------
COMSOL Employee
USA
Hi Nichith, The model file shared by Sergei Yushanov on the following thread covered all the aspects of the modeling you are trying to do here. http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/acdc-module/thread/48049/ Note that the physics used here is Magnetic Fields; but you can easily used the Magnetic and Electric Fields in the same way. Nirmal Paudel ------------------------ COMSOL Employee USA

Nichith Chandrasekaran

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月3日 GMT-5 06:26
Hi Nirmal,

Thank you so much for your help. I am sorry for replying late. I could not access COMSOL for sometime now. But now that's sorted out.
I have looked at the example in the link you mentioned. It does cover all the aspects I am looking for. I have tried to incorporate changes from the example into my simulation. I am still getting problems with my moving mesh part. I see that in the example the moving mesh was controlled very well. But in my case the armature gets deformed from its original shape when it is moved.
I am not able to see what is the mistake i am doing. It would be very helpful if you can give me some suggestion. I have attached my file here.
Hi Nirmal, Thank you so much for your help. I am sorry for replying late. I could not access COMSOL for sometime now. But now that's sorted out. I have looked at the example in the link you mentioned. It does cover all the aspects I am looking for. I have tried to incorporate changes from the example into my simulation. I am still getting problems with my moving mesh part. I see that in the example the moving mesh was controlled very well. But in my case the armature gets deformed from its original shape when it is moved. I am not able to see what is the mistake i am doing. It would be very helpful if you can give me some suggestion. I have attached my file here.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.