Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL 4.4 cannot replicate a COMSOL 3.5 Model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys,

I refer to this model:
www.comsol.com/model/fixed-bed-reactor-for-catalytic-hydrocarbon-oxidation-257

This model was created in 3.5a. I loaded it in a COMSOL 4.4 version. Two physics came out; Transport of Dilute Species, and Heat Transfer in Fluids.

Then, I copied all the physics exactly, including all the variables, using a brand new COMSOL 4.4 file. However, this brand new file failed to see convergence. Whereas the 3.5a file which I downloaded took only a few seconds to converge.

Solver, meshing are identical (double/triple checked). Can anybody point out what's wrong?

3 Replies Last Post 2014年10月24日 GMT-4 20:48

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月23日 GMT-4 00:47
Do not know your settings of your model,but i consider that tiny diffiences in default setting occur between version3.5 and 4.4,scrutinizing defualt setting may work ,I ever solve similar problem by replacing d(p,t) as d(p,TIME),good luck
Do not know your settings of your model,but i consider that tiny diffiences in default setting occur between version3.5 and 4.4,scrutinizing defualt setting may work ,I ever solve similar problem by replacing d(p,t) as d(p,TIME),good luck

Niklas Rom COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月23日 GMT-4 08:26
Works for me. I uploded a 4.4 version of the file, with an improved mesh. Mapped mesh was introduced after 3.5a.
-Niklas

Hi guys,

I refer to this model:
www.comsol.com/model/fixed-bed-reactor-for-catalytic-hydrocarbon-oxidation-257

This model was created in 3.5a. I loaded it in a COMSOL 4.4 version. Two physics came out; Transport of Dilute Species, and Heat Transfer in Fluids.

Then, I copied all the physics exactly, including all the variables, using a brand new COMSOL 4.4 file. However, this brand new file failed to see convergence. Whereas the 3.5a file which I downloaded took only a few seconds to converge.

Solver, meshing are identical (double/triple checked). Can anybody point out what's wrong?

Works for me. I uploded a 4.4 version of the file, with an improved mesh. Mapped mesh was introduced after 3.5a. -Niklas [QUOTE] Hi guys, I refer to this model: http://www.comsol.com/model/fixed-bed-reactor-for-catalytic-hydrocarbon-oxidation-257 This model was created in 3.5a. I loaded it in a COMSOL 4.4 version. Two physics came out; Transport of Dilute Species, and Heat Transfer in Fluids. Then, I copied all the physics exactly, including all the variables, using a brand new COMSOL 4.4 file. However, this brand new file failed to see convergence. Whereas the 3.5a file which I downloaded took only a few seconds to converge. Solver, meshing are identical (double/triple checked). Can anybody point out what's wrong? [/QUOTE]

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月24日 GMT-4 20:48
Hi Niklas,

Thanks for the speedy response. I took a look at the model you have uploaded, and I observed a node named 'COMSOL 3.5a solution'. I surmise you have opened the 3.5a file and re-meshed it to convergence.

I apologize if I didn't express my case clearly. I was referring to re-creating the entire file, in a 4.4 environment, from ground zero. In any case, I have managed to achieve convergence doing so, albeit taking me a good 4 minutes.

Thanks again.
Hi Niklas, Thanks for the speedy response. I took a look at the model you have uploaded, and I observed a node named 'COMSOL 3.5a solution'. I surmise you have opened the 3.5a file and re-meshed it to convergence. I apologize if I didn't express my case clearly. I was referring to re-creating the entire file, in a 4.4 environment, from ground zero. In any case, I have managed to achieve convergence doing so, albeit taking me a good 4 minutes. Thanks again.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.