Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

ERROR: Complex number encountered in real expression(when calculate the DEP force)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone:
I use Particle tracing module for fluid to calculate the DEP force exerted on the nano-sized particles.

When calculate the DEP I encountered a problem as follows:

Complex number encountered in real expression.
- Expression: (mod1.fpt.Ftz-d(mod1.qz,t)*d(mod1.fpt.mp,t))/mod1.fpt.mp
- Geometry: Particles

Anyone can help me ?
Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post 2017年5月6日 GMT-4 17:22

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月30日 GMT-4 09:41
Anyone can help me?
Thanks!
Anyone can help me? Thanks!

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年5月6日 GMT-4 17:22
I was in similar situation.
I have 3 steps: frequency domain electric current, stationary creeping flow, and time dependent particle tracing for fluid flow.
If I solve the steps in the above order, I got the same problem like yours.
If I then solve for frequency domain the second, everything is going well.
Hope this input helps.
Yours sincerely,
Bao.
I was in similar situation. I have 3 steps: frequency domain electric current, stationary creeping flow, and time dependent particle tracing for fluid flow. If I solve the steps in the above order, I got the same problem like yours. If I then solve for frequency domain the second, everything is going well. Hope this input helps. Yours sincerely, Bao.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.