Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Need of applying scattering boundary condition in comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Mr.Ivar,

i am new with Comsol and using 4.3b version.I have a silly question.please,tell me what is need of applying scattering boundary condition in software..actually,for which purpose it is being used?

7 Replies Last Post 2016年6月29日 GMT-4 18:30
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年10月31日 GMT-4 09:15
Krupali,

Scattering Boundary Condition is used to avoid back reflection of the outgoing wave from the exterior boundary of your computational domain. In another words, this boundary condition makes a boundary transparent for the outgoing waves.

Scattering Boundary Condition can also be used to lunch source (incident) wave from the boundary.

Regards,
Sergei
Krupali, Scattering Boundary Condition is used to avoid back reflection of the outgoing wave from the exterior boundary of your computational domain. In another words, this boundary condition makes a boundary transparent for the outgoing waves. Scattering Boundary Condition can also be used to lunch source (incident) wave from the boundary. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月2日 GMT-5 23:03
thank you sir for your reply.

Still I am confused that how PML and scattering boundary conditions differ from each other?when should I use PML and when scattering boundary condition?
thank you sir for your reply. Still I am confused that how PML and scattering boundary conditions differ from each other?when should I use PML and when scattering boundary condition?

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月3日 GMT-5 08:43
Krupali,

You can use either Scattering Boundary Condition or PML in frequency domain. PML might give you more accurate solution since plane wave is partially reflected at oblique incidence for Scattering BC. PML is not particularly sensitive to the shape of the wave fronts.

PML is not available in time domain. Thus, Scattering BC is the only choice in time domain.

Regards,
Sergei
Krupali, You can use either Scattering Boundary Condition or PML in frequency domain. PML might give you more accurate solution since plane wave is partially reflected at oblique incidence for Scattering BC. PML is not particularly sensitive to the shape of the wave fronts. PML is not available in time domain. Thus, Scattering BC is the only choice in time domain. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月4日 GMT-5 07:36
ok...thank you so much.this is really helpful to me.
ok...thank you so much.this is really helpful to me.

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月4日 GMT-5 23:59
I want to understand physics behind PML..Actually I have read an equation in RF USED GUIDE that how comsol applies PML Layer.equation includes coordinate t..i can't understand what actually t means? what is its physical indication?
I want to understand physics behind PML..Actually I have read an equation in RF USED GUIDE that how comsol applies PML Layer.equation includes coordinate t..i can't understand what actually t means? what is its physical indication?

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月5日 GMT-5 10:58
Hi,

Fundamentally there is one big difference between PML & Scattering Boundary Condition. First, the PML boundary condition is used where you are not actually concerned about the domains in the model (or virtual domain). For example if you have a wave propagating through air, the air region can be infinitely long. But you cannot model it as it will be tough to analyse. Hence you add a PML region in which the waves can propagate as if the air domain is infinitely long with minimal reflection or no reflections. The scattering boundary condition is the same but there is a slight difference to the way it is completely transparent to the incoming wave. This boundary condition is completely transparent for wave which are normal to the incident boundary. Therefore some waves will be reflected back as it hits the incident boundary.
Hi, Fundamentally there is one big difference between PML & Scattering Boundary Condition. First, the PML boundary condition is used where you are not actually concerned about the domains in the model (or virtual domain). For example if you have a wave propagating through air, the air region can be infinitely long. But you cannot model it as it will be tough to analyse. Hence you add a PML region in which the waves can propagate as if the air domain is infinitely long with minimal reflection or no reflections. The scattering boundary condition is the same but there is a slight difference to the way it is completely transparent to the incoming wave. This boundary condition is completely transparent for wave which are normal to the incident boundary. Therefore some waves will be reflected back as it hits the incident boundary.

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月29日 GMT-4 18:30
Hi all

Does anybody knows how to set perfectly matched layer (PML) in boundary condition in electromagnetic wave time domain (teew)
Hi all Does anybody knows how to set perfectly matched layer (PML) in boundary condition in electromagnetic wave time domain (teew)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.