Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Large Deformation /NonLinearity in Piezoelectric Physics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I'm modeling a relatively thin piezoelectric actuator. I expect that the deflections wil be about 25% to 75% of the actuator thickness and thus am expecting geometric stress stiffening or large deformation stiffening

How to I "turn on" large deformations for Piezoelectric problems?

thanks for the help!

1 Reply Last Post 2010年5月12日 GMT-4 16:46
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年5月12日 GMT-4 16:46
Hi

normally you have the large deformation as part of the "physics - properties" list, but I cannot remember just now if there are not some special restrictions for PZT, you must look up carefully the doc.

You have PZT in the structural and in the MEMS modules, I beleive they are identical.

If you really want to know the differences COMSOL applies you must compare the variables of "physics - equation systems - subdomain/boundary/point settings", when you flip the "large deformation" on and off.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally you have the large deformation as part of the "physics - properties" list, but I cannot remember just now if there are not some special restrictions for PZT, you must look up carefully the doc. You have PZT in the structural and in the MEMS modules, I beleive they are identical. If you really want to know the differences COMSOL applies you must compare the variables of "physics - equation systems - subdomain/boundary/point settings", when you flip the "large deformation" on and off. Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.