Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Theory Behind Calculating Wall Shear Stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

So I'm fairly new to Comsol and still don't know much about the theory behind somethings and I wanted to know what is the proper way to derive shear stress in a two-dimensional model.

For a while I have been using this equation: spf.mu*(uy+vx)
Basically calculating the shear rate by finding the gradient of Vx in the y direction adding the gradient of Vy in the x direction

However recently I realized that Comsol has an variable for shear rate called spf.sr
I get similar results but the spf.sr gives me only positive values.
Did I miss something in my equation? Which way do you think is correct?
Thanks,
Chris

1 Reply Last Post 2015年1月29日 GMT-5 10:22

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年1月29日 GMT-5 10:22
Hi

I am not the greatest theorist the world and if someone wants to correct me please do, but I can try and help with what I know. But to start with the succinct answer to your problem is to use the spf.mu*(uy+vx).

To explain why, the way you work out what the shear stress on a surface is you need to find the "surface traction" which is basically the force acting on the surface. You find this by multiplying the stress tensor with the normal vector to your surface.

Once you have the surface traction, and as you want the shear stress i.e. the force tangential to the surface, you dot your surface traction with the tangential vector. There you have it, the shear stress.

Now if your wall is parallel to the x or y axis and you go through the above you find that the shear stress comes out as mu*(uy+vx). If its not then I think you probably have to scale by the tangential and normal vectors manually, but thankfully there already pre-built into COMSOL, (the normal vector components are nx,ny and tangential vector tx,ty) .

Not to get too distracted from your question but from my understanding the shear rate is second invariant of velocity gradient tensor and is often used in Non-Newtonian fluids where your viscosity is shear rate dependent.

Hope this helps

Hi I am not the greatest theorist the world and if someone wants to correct me please do, but I can try and help with what I know. But to start with the succinct answer to your problem is to use the spf.mu*(uy+vx). To explain why, the way you work out what the shear stress on a surface is you need to find the "surface traction" which is basically the force acting on the surface. You find this by multiplying the stress tensor with the normal vector to your surface. Once you have the surface traction, and as you want the shear stress i.e. the force tangential to the surface, you dot your surface traction with the tangential vector. There you have it, the shear stress. Now if your wall is parallel to the x or y axis and you go through the above you find that the shear stress comes out as mu*(uy+vx). If its not then I think you probably have to scale by the tangential and normal vectors manually, but thankfully there already pre-built into COMSOL, (the normal vector components are nx,ny and tangential vector tx,ty) . Not to get too distracted from your question but from my understanding the shear rate is second invariant of velocity gradient tensor and is often used in Non-Newtonian fluids where your viscosity is shear rate dependent. Hope this helps

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.