Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can we start an open source materials library database?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I don't know if it is "allowed" but wouldn't it be nice if we could all share material properties with each other?

It just feels so stupid that I spend time on entering the wavelength dependent refractive index for my materials of interest and that every one else also has to waste time doing the same.

How about starting an open source database with comsol materials?

(Is there an interest? I guess that companies don't want to share, but I have a feeling that there are enough PHD students doing simulation that such a website would be of interest.)

pleas drop a comment with what you think? and if you want to help?

(Maybe you Comsol people could implement it into the software directly?)

3 Replies Last Post 2016年6月15日 GMT-4 09:32
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年2月3日 GMT-5 10:07
Hello Micke,
In COMSOL, material databases use the same mph format as model files, so you can share a material database you've developed on the Model Exchange section of our website: www.comsol.com/community/exchange/ .
Best,
Jeff
Hello Micke, In COMSOL, material databases use the same mph format as model files, so you can share a material database you've developed on the Model Exchange section of our website: http://www.comsol.com/community/exchange/ . Best, Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年2月5日 GMT-5 09:19
Thanks for the info Jeff!

Although handling it that way seems rather impractical...
Thanks for the info Jeff! Although handling it that way seems rather impractical...

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月15日 GMT-4 09:32
There really should be a separate part for this... So much extra work to do it the way it's currently set up. Just have COMSOL comp sci developers put a GrabCAD type system up. Literally just needs to be a website tab where one can dump/upload a material and others can search/download it.
There really should be a separate part for this... So much extra work to do it the way it's currently set up. Just have COMSOL comp sci developers put a GrabCAD type system up. Literally just needs to be a website tab where one can dump/upload a material and others can search/download it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.