Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Concave Workplane / Concave Geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Do you know if there is a way in order to draw attached geometries in COMSOL?

Or any idea if I am able to create a concave workplane?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies Last Post 2015年2月11日 GMT-5 11:10

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年2月10日 GMT-5 14:38
This is not very elegant, but will this do? If you don't have version 5.0, this is the procedure:

1. Create a hollow cylinder and cut it with, e.g. blocks to a desired shape.
2. Draw another block across this tubular wall.
3. Partition the last block.
4. Convert this partition to curves.
5. Remove extra edges.

br
Lasse
This is not very elegant, but will this do? If you don't have version 5.0, this is the procedure: 1. Create a hollow cylinder and cut it with, e.g. blocks to a desired shape. 2. Draw another block across this tubular wall. 3. Partition the last block. 4. Convert this partition to curves. 5. Remove extra edges. br Lasse

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年2月10日 GMT-5 15:07
As an alternative to Lasse's approach:
Since it looks like you have a CAD software, you could import the geometry using the COMSOL CAD Import Module, rather than redrawing the geometry using COMSOL's own drawing tools. The CAD Import Module supports a wide range of formats, including Parasolid, step, sat, IGS, as well as the native formats of a number of common CAD programs (See www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/ for more details).
Best,
Jeff
As an alternative to Lasse's approach: Since it looks like you have a CAD software, you could import the geometry using the COMSOL CAD Import Module, rather than redrawing the geometry using COMSOL's own drawing tools. The CAD Import Module supports a wide range of formats, including Parasolid, step, sat, IGS, as well as the native formats of a number of common CAD programs (See http://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/ for more details). Best, Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年2月11日 GMT-5 10:57

This is not very elegant, but will this do? If you don't have version 5.0, this is the procedure:

1. Create a hollow cylinder and cut it with, e.g. blocks to a desired shape.
2. Draw another block across this tubular wall.
3. Partition the last block.
4. Convert this partition to curves.
5. Remove extra edges.

br
Lasse

Thank you very much for your help. Actually I have already tried what you mentioned however I have stuck when I was trying to draw mounted concentric cylinders which are mounted on the concave surface. Do you have any idea if I can draw those cylinders too?
[QUOTE] This is not very elegant, but will this do? If you don't have version 5.0, this is the procedure: 1. Create a hollow cylinder and cut it with, e.g. blocks to a desired shape. 2. Draw another block across this tubular wall. 3. Partition the last block. 4. Convert this partition to curves. 5. Remove extra edges. br Lasse [/QUOTE] Thank you very much for your help. Actually I have already tried what you mentioned however I have stuck when I was trying to draw mounted concentric cylinders which are mounted on the concave surface. Do you have any idea if I can draw those cylinders too?

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年2月11日 GMT-5 11:10

As an alternative to Lasse's approach:
Since it looks like you have a CAD software, you could import the geometry using the COMSOL CAD Import Module, rather than redrawing the geometry using COMSOL's own drawing tools. The CAD Import Module supports a wide range of formats, including Parasolid, step, sat, IGS, as well as the native formats of a number of common CAD programs (See www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/ for more details).
Best,
Jeff

Thank you very much for your advise. I have already tried to Import my CAD file as well. However I have got some geometry issues. So my simulation didn't work properly. I think the attachment explains my problem much better.
Do you have any suggestion for this problem?
Thank you.

Osman
[QUOTE] As an alternative to Lasse's approach: Since it looks like you have a CAD software, you could import the geometry using the COMSOL CAD Import Module, rather than redrawing the geometry using COMSOL's own drawing tools. The CAD Import Module supports a wide range of formats, including Parasolid, step, sat, IGS, as well as the native formats of a number of common CAD programs (See http://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/ for more details). Best, Jeff [/QUOTE] Thank you very much for your advise. I have already tried to Import my CAD file as well. However I have got some geometry issues. So my simulation didn't work properly. I think the attachment explains my problem much better. Do you have any suggestion for this problem? Thank you. Osman

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.