Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Joule heating problem - 2D and 3D simulations and compleatly different results - where is a mistake?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am quite new to comsol and I have some problems with joule heating simulation. So when I simulate my structure with 3D simulation it shows me huge temperature on heated material, but is is not showing me any heat around. In this case I tried to do 2D simulation and... with the same current I see nearly no heat in this material and I need some huge current to see any heat there. Can anyone explain me what am I doing wrong? Is it material or geometry problem? Or Physics?
Best regards,
Andrzej

2 Replies Last Post 2015年2月20日 GMT-5 06:33

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年2月20日 GMT-5 03:00
Hello Andrzej,

I have make some changes in your 3D problem. Why do you use form an assembly in geometry? It seems there is no reason for using it.
ec physic needs to be defined only on the electrical active part.
You need to use heat source in heat transfer physic computed from ec physic.
If you want to make a 2D model, it is better to work on a vertical plan do to your geometry.

Take a look on my model.

Julien
Hello Andrzej, I have make some changes in your 3D problem. Why do you use form an assembly in geometry? It seems there is no reason for using it. ec physic needs to be defined only on the electrical active part. You need to use heat source in heat transfer physic computed from ec physic. If you want to make a 2D model, it is better to work on a vertical plan do to your geometry. Take a look on my model. Julien

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年2月20日 GMT-5 06:33
Hallo Julien,

thank you very much! This was exactly what I was looking for.

Best regards,

Andrzej
Hallo Julien, thank you very much! This was exactly what I was looking for. Best regards, Andrzej

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.