Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat flow with thermal contact conductance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Here is part of my simulation:

i.imgur.com/2Xs4PCs.png

What I'm doing is having this piece touch another piece (heatsink basically). I'm getting weird numbers that don't match experiment and I've found that most of the heat transfer occurs over the surface of the part and when I add a thermal contact node, any value I give for constriction and gap conductance (in W/m^2 K), I get similar numbers for the temperature of my part as well as this heat flow plot.

What am I doing wrong here? I imagine making the thermal contact conductance closer to 0 should increase my part's temperature, but it has minimal effect. And I would expect the heat flow to be uniform, not near the edges mainly.

I do have an air boundary around my geometry, so this part in the image is also in contact with air. I see why that would add to heat flow being on the surface, but since the two parts are metal, I would assume heat transfer through air would be negligible in comparing, assuming a reasonable contact conductance.

0 Replies Last Post 2015年2月24日 GMT-5 15:00
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Damian Rivas

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.