Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Convergence problem while simulating a degaussing process

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I'm currently running 3-D simulations of ferromagnetic materials that are being degaussed. When I use the "Magnetic Fields" node it works quite well, however, then everything depends on the magnetic flux B, which physically doesn't really make sense.
So I would rather have everything depend on the magnetic field H, which is why I am trying to run my simulations using the "Magnetic Field Formulation" node. Unfortionately, so far it hasn't worked. The problem is, I always get the error message:

Nonlinear solver did not converge.
Maximum number of Newton iterations reached.
There was an error message from the linear solver.
The relative error (4e+02) is greater than the relative tolerance.
Time : 4.358435242653585e-07
Last time step is not converged.

I have attached the model. Any Ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance,
Rook

2 Replies Last Post 2015年9月9日 GMT-4 04:13
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rook Jameson

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年9月8日 GMT-4 04:42
Hey Rook

Have you found the reason behind that error??

Regards
Hey Rook Have you found the reason behind that error?? Regards

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年9月9日 GMT-4 04:13
Kinda. I guess the reason that it doesn’t work is a flaw in my logic. I was thinking, H is given by the external coils, so I should have a function dependent of H. But what you give Comsol is actually a differential equation, not a function. So now Comsol tries to solve the equation for H, even though H is already given. This causes the problem I guess.
When I use the magnetic field node and let my differential equation solve for B, then it works pretty well.

Regards
Kinda. I guess the reason that it doesn’t work is a flaw in my logic. I was thinking, H is given by the external coils, so I should have a function dependent of H. But what you give Comsol is actually a differential equation, not a function. So now Comsol tries to solve the equation for H, even though H is already given. This causes the problem I guess. When I use the magnetic field node and let my differential equation solve for B, then it works pretty well. Regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.