Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to link comsol to matlab

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have to change from comsol 3.5a to 4.0. In the manual I read that there also would be one icon for "comsol with matlab" and one for "comsol 3.5a compatibility".
I already have installed the new version (on Windows), however I can't find these icons?! Whats wrong?

Thanks in advance, Sabine

8 Replies Last Post 2010年6月16日 GMT-4 12:25
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年6月14日 GMT-4 09:46
Hi

I have no "compatibility icon" but my V4 eats the 3.5 and does what it can (partly translating, sometimes OK) my old V3.5 files, but I mostly end up running 3.5 as a viewer and rebuild my files from scratch in V4 (as you can have both up (luckily).

have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi I have no "compatibility icon" but my V4 eats the 3.5 and does what it can (partly translating, sometimes OK) my old V3.5 files, but I mostly end up running 3.5 as a viewer and rebuild my files from scratch in V4 (as you can have both up (luckily). have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年6月14日 GMT-4 10:50
Hi Ivar,

thanks for your answer.

I am afraid I need this compatibility icon, because: I have built up a rather large model in Comsol 3.5a (connected to Matlab). First, I import real measurement data, then convert them with Matlab to a geometry object and finally read them with Comsol.

The problem now is that Comsol4.0 with Matlab does not recognize the old commands. (I checked that on another computer, because in my one I also don't have a "Comsol with Matlab" icon.)

Can you tell me how to get these two icons?

Regards, Sabine
Hi Ivar, thanks for your answer. I am afraid I need this compatibility icon, because: I have built up a rather large model in Comsol 3.5a (connected to Matlab). First, I import real measurement data, then convert them with Matlab to a geometry object and finally read them with Comsol. The problem now is that Comsol4.0 with Matlab does not recognize the old commands. (I checked that on another computer, because in my one I also don't have a "Comsol with Matlab" icon.) Can you tell me how to get these two icons? Regards, Sabine

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年6月14日 GMT-4 10:59
Hi

OK now I understand better, well I cannot help there I have decided not to try any compatibility, I have burnt my finger so many times over the years that if possible, I try to restart, its also a good way to learn the new habist, but for
3.5->4 it's quite a jump, and annoying if you have half your thesis done, or any other large project running.

We mostly do not change any software version over as project run, even if the project goes on for several years

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi OK now I understand better, well I cannot help there I have decided not to try any compatibility, I have burnt my finger so many times over the years that if possible, I try to restart, its also a good way to learn the new habist, but for 3.5->4 it's quite a jump, and annoying if you have half your thesis done, or any other large project running. We mostly do not change any software version over as project run, even if the project goes on for several years Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年6月15日 GMT-4 17:09
I'm not sure if this will help, but you might want to consult this article from the knowledge base:
"Cannot start COMSOL 4.0 with MATLAB on Windows"
www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1071/

Also, here is my path for COMSOL with MATLAB (3.5a compatibility) icon:

C:\COMSOL40\bin\win64\comsolserver.exe matlab -compat

so you might try adding in the "-compat" to the path in the shortcut.

I'm not sure if this will help, but you might want to consult this article from the knowledge base: "Cannot start COMSOL 4.0 with MATLAB on Windows" http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1071/ Also, here is my path for COMSOL with MATLAB (3.5a compatibility) icon: C:\COMSOL40\bin\win64\comsolserver.exe matlab -compat so you might try adding in the "-compat" to the path in the shortcut.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年6月16日 GMT-4 10:47
Hi John,

I have exactly the same problem when I want to start Comsol 4 with Matlab (R2010a release), even after having changed the target path as indicated in the knowledg base
www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1071/
and still after having added "-compat" to the path in the shortcut as you suggest it

With all that, when I start Comsol with Matlab, it launches Matlab R2010a, but stays in this state without opening Comsol 4.

Thank you to give me your opinion about that and if you have an idea to fix this puzzling problem it will be welcome!

Roland
Hi John, I have exactly the same problem when I want to start Comsol 4 with Matlab (R2010a release), even after having changed the target path as indicated in the knowledg base http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1071/ and still after having added "-compat" to the path in the shortcut as you suggest it With all that, when I start Comsol with Matlab, it launches Matlab R2010a, but stays in this state without opening Comsol 4. Thank you to give me your opinion about that and if you have an idea to fix this puzzling problem it will be welcome! Roland

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年6月16日 GMT-4 10:57

Hi
Have you launched the "server" alone and provided you login name creditial into the "dos window" once ?

normally you must do this once, as it needs interactive exchanges the firtst time, then it worked OK for me

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Have you launched the "server" alone and provided you login name creditial into the "dos window" once ? normally you must do this once, as it needs interactive exchanges the firtst time, then it worked OK for me Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年6月16日 GMT-4 12:07
Hi Ivar,

As you explain it, after launching start/Comsol 4 with Matlab, it openned a DOS window in which I entered the 1rst time my user name "Roland". After that it opens Matlab but still not Comsol and the things remain blocked at this state. After that I noticed that my user name is not Roland but roland. So do you think that DOS is capital_letter sensitive or not, and if it is the case, how is it possible to cancel the false user name and to enter the right user name in DOS in order to get all this correct?

Thanks for your help!

Roland
Hi Ivar, As you explain it, after launching start/Comsol 4 with Matlab, it openned a DOS window in which I entered the 1rst time my user name "Roland". After that it opens Matlab but still not Comsol and the things remain blocked at this state. After that I noticed that my user name is not Roland but roland. So do you think that DOS is capital_letter sensitive or not, and if it is the case, how is it possible to cancel the false user name and to enter the right user name in DOS in order to get all this correct? Thanks for your help! Roland

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年6月16日 GMT-4 12:25
Hi

not sure, perhaps check your ...\.comsol ini files or the install or matlab IF doc

good luck
ivar
Hi not sure, perhaps check your ...\.comsol ini files or the install or matlab IF doc good luck ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.