Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh working up until the point I want to do a study...

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am looking at the capacitance of a relatively simple geometry. I had the model working perfectly when I was interested in the variation in capacitance as two parallel plates sweep past each other, but when I try to add in an angular offset now nothing is working any more.

If I click "Build All" on the Mesh 1 node in the Model Builder, everything meshes just fine with no warnings or errors, but as soon as I click "Evaluate", all hell breaks loose. The mesher tells me that some faces are too small and that it has "Internal error in boundary respecting" and that it "Failed to respect boundary element edge on geometry face."

Looking more closely (at the attached .png files) I see that if I mesh manually everything is fine, but when the solver sets everything up for the start of the sweep run, it introduces an additional offset which I do not want. Zooming in, this results in an overlap of two domains and I guess this is what's causing the small edges and boundary respect failures.

Does anyone know what's causing this weird effect, and what I can do to fix it? Thanks,

Matthew

0 Replies Last Post 2015年3月23日 GMT-4 10:00
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Matthew Aldous

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.