Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

no stress showing up in the mechanical insertion of neural probe

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Ivar:

I am trying to model the mechanical insertion of the neural probes into the brain. The load pressing down on the implant is 10mN and the simulation lasts for 1s. The probe is made of silicon. I have made the brain a viscoelastic material with a bulk modulus of 2.19e9, shear modulus of 2805, and a density of 1040kg/m^3.

The problem I have right now is that there is Von Mises stress developed in the probe, but none whatsoever in the brain. I did a subdomain integration of the Von Mises stress in the brain and it's 0. What do you think the problem might be? I am attaching my COMSOL file, maybe you can take a look at it. I have been stuck on this for several days, so please help!

Thank you!

Joe

0 Replies Last Post 2010年7月2日 GMT-4 14:18
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Joe Xiao

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.