Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Lateral loading of a beam after buckling due to intrinsic stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am beginner/novice COMSOL 5.0 user trying to simulate the lateral loading of a fixed-fixed flat silicon beam AFTER it has buckled due to known intrinsic stress (i.e. I want to push down on the "lump" created after buckling). I am able to create the structure and generate the buckling eigenmodes. Of course, being an eigenmode problem, the mode amplitudes are ambiguous but what I would like to do is the following:

1. Estimate the amplitude using energy/arc length considerations

2. Use the mode shape and amplitude as a pre-stressed displacement field of a new structure

3. Model lateral loading of the new structure as similarly outlined in
www.comsol.com/model/download/198735/models.sme.postbuckling_shell.pdf

Firstly, I am wondering if this is even a valid procedure. Secondly, is there canonical method to estimating the buckling mode amplitude? Lastly, how would one export the mode shape to create a new pre-stressed structure? Not sure it will help, but I've attached my .mph file.

1 Reply Last Post 2015年5月6日 GMT-4 13:31

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年5月6日 GMT-4 13:31
MIT released some MATLAB code last year (May 2014) for post-bifurcation analysis via LiveLink; essentially following the procedure as outlined in the original post. The code and documentation may be found at

dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/86934

I will try this out and provide feed back and perhaps a more comprehensive procedure later for those of you with similar questions.
MIT released some MATLAB code last year (May 2014) for post-bifurcation analysis via LiveLink; essentially following the procedure as outlined in the original post. The code and documentation may be found at http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/86934 I will try this out and provide feed back and perhaps a more comprehensive procedure later for those of you with similar questions.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.