Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

need help on how to properly simulate a moving mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello everyone.
i would like to ask some assistance on how i could do this properly.
i have a model composed of two composite geometries. the fist of the two geometries which is the block represents a fluid (water) and the second the second geometry found inside the block represents a porous media.
what i would to like to simulate here is the swelling of the porous media being submerged in the fluid (water).
every time i run the solve features, i always got an error.
i do not know where and which part i did it improperly.
i am attaching the file for you to see the model.
please, anybody knows how to to properly do this, give me some advise.
thank you so much in advance.

9 Replies Last Post 2016年4月1日 GMT-4 03:31

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年7月13日 GMT-4 08:32
This is an old comsol file. Try uploading a 3.5a or 4.0 version please.
This is an old comsol file. Try uploading a 3.5a or 4.0 version please.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年7月13日 GMT-4 22:34
Danial,

Thank you so much for responding my email. i am attaching a new file in 3.5a version.

Danial, Thank you so much for responding my email. i am attaching a new file in 3.5a version.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年7月14日 GMT-4 02:36
Jonathan,

Can you please tell more about the problem in detail? The solver started running just ok.
Jonathan, Can you please tell more about the problem in detail? The solver started running just ok.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年7月14日 GMT-4 21:20
Danial,
thank you so much for extending your help.
i am very glad that the model did run properly this time. i just did a several changes and revisited the in inputs of the data.
my apologies for taking your time.
maybe i just committed some errors in inputing the data.
but sooner should problems arise again, i will keep it posted in the forum.
again thank you so much and may God bless you.

jonathan
Danial, thank you so much for extending your help. i am very glad that the model did run properly this time. i just did a several changes and revisited the in inputs of the data. my apologies for taking your time. maybe i just committed some errors in inputing the data. but sooner should problems arise again, i will keep it posted in the forum. again thank you so much and may God bless you. jonathan

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月30日 GMT-4 11:20
Hi Jonathan,
I'm dealing with a problem similar to that you had, as I can read. May I ask you how you solved the problem of swelling in a porous media with Comsol?
I'd really appreciate your help.
Many Thanks

Simona
Hi Jonathan, I'm dealing with a problem similar to that you had, as I can read. May I ask you how you solved the problem of swelling in a porous media with Comsol? I'd really appreciate your help. Many Thanks Simona

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月30日 GMT-4 19:21
Hi Simona,
What I did before was combine two different physics. Heat transfer in solids and Structural Mechanics. The analogy of the Fourier's Law of Heat Transfer and Fick's Diffusion was used for the moisture diffusion in the media that I was studying. Then for the hygroscopic swelling part, I used the structural mechanics module. You can add the thermal expansion node in structural mechanics. Attached is the picture of what I did.
Hope that helps.

Jonathan

Hi Simona, What I did before was combine two different physics. Heat transfer in solids and Structural Mechanics. The analogy of the Fourier's Law of Heat Transfer and Fick's Diffusion was used for the moisture diffusion in the media that I was studying. Then for the hygroscopic swelling part, I used the structural mechanics module. You can add the thermal expansion node in structural mechanics. Attached is the picture of what I did. Hope that helps. Jonathan

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月31日 GMT-4 04:15
Dear Jonathan,
thanks a lot for your answer!
I'm afraid that my problem is a little bit complicated and I need to implement the model with a moving mesh because I can't use the built-in models for the physics. I found problems in coupling equations written with the mathematics module and the moving mesh to simulate at the same time the swelling behaviour and the physics of my problem.

Can you give me some indications?

Thank you

Simona
Dear Jonathan, thanks a lot for your answer! I'm afraid that my problem is a little bit complicated and I need to implement the model with a moving mesh because I can't use the built-in models for the physics. I found problems in coupling equations written with the mathematics module and the moving mesh to simulate at the same time the swelling behaviour and the physics of my problem. Can you give me some indications? Thank you Simona

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年3月31日 GMT-4 19:39
Hi Simona

I've seen one topic in the forum before about moving mesh. Maybe this can help you.

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/26292/

Transient 3D Moving Mesh

Try to study the works of Prof. Rebecca Cantrell. She perfectly modelled a moving mesh problem.

Jonathan

Hi Simona I've seen one topic in the forum before about moving mesh. Maybe this can help you. http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/26292/ Transient 3D Moving Mesh Try to study the works of Prof. Rebecca Cantrell. She perfectly modelled a moving mesh problem. Jonathan

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年4月1日 GMT-4 03:31
Thank you Jonathan.

I've already seen that conversation on the forum, but I'll try to study in more detail the work of Prof. Cantrell.

Simona
Thank you Jonathan. I've already seen that conversation on the forum, but I'll try to study in more detail the work of Prof. Cantrell. Simona

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.