Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Symmetry boundary condition in eigenfrequency study

Jean-Philippe Regnard

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I want to use the symmetry boundary condition for a heavy model in 3D to reduce computation time. Before to use it, i just want to validate the efficiency of the symmetry boundary condition with a really simple model: a rectangular box.
SO i solve the problem in the full case (the symmetry is not used and the geometry is full), and after a made an other simulation with the half of the geometry and the symmetry boundary condition .
When i compare the results for the eigenfrequencies, don't find the same things. In fact when i use the model with the half geometry and symmetry, i find the sames eigenfrequencies with the same model without the symmetry boundary condition. All this indicate that the symmetry boundary condition is not working.
So can you explain to me what i'm doing wrong?
Thanks a lot.
Find here in this post the (simple) models.

JP

1 Reply Last Post 2015年5月5日 GMT-4 12:19
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年5月5日 GMT-4 12:19
Hi,

You are actually not doing anything wrong. The 'Symmetry' boundary condition is mathematically the same as the 'Sound hard' boundary condition. The latter is the default boundary condition, so it is applied when you remove the 'Symmetry' node.

The reason for having this duplicate, is that it is easier to see what a model is intended to do with a specific symmetry condition.

With a half model and a symmetry condition, you will however only get the symmetric modes, and not the antisymmetric ones. You can use the 'Sound soft' boundary condition to compute the antisymmetric modes.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, You are actually not doing anything wrong. The 'Symmetry' boundary condition is mathematically the same as the 'Sound hard' boundary condition. The latter is the default boundary condition, so it is applied when you remove the 'Symmetry' node. The reason for having this duplicate, is that it is easier to see what a model is intended to do with a specific symmetry condition. With a half model and a symmetry condition, you will however only get the symmetric modes, and not the antisymmetric ones. You can use the 'Sound soft' boundary condition to compute the antisymmetric modes. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.