Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to limit a membrane deflection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am simulating a membrane deflection under pressure. There is a substrate underneath the membrane with certain air-gap in between. Under large pressure the membrane should make contact with the substrate. However, in my simulation result, the membrane can go beneath the substrate, just like ignoring the presence of the substrate.
Can anyone suggest how to fix this issue?

Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 2016年6月7日 GMT-4 13:22

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年5月27日 GMT-4 10:31
Would using a contact pair work here? Define the source as the membrane and the destination as the top surface of the substrate.
Would using a contact pair work here? Define the source as the membrane and the destination as the top surface of the substrate.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年5月28日 GMT-4 15:13
Yes. I have tried adding contact pair. But once the pressure is high enough that it make the beam contact, the simulaiton starts doesn't converge. It seems like there is still some mistake. I have attached the simulation file build on comsol 4.4. Any sugestions on how to fix the convergence issue? Or if i made any mistakes in the simulation model?

Thanks

Yes. I have tried adding contact pair. But once the pressure is high enough that it make the beam contact, the simulaiton starts doesn't converge. It seems like there is still some mistake. I have attached the simulation file build on comsol 4.4. Any sugestions on how to fix the convergence issue? Or if i made any mistakes in the simulation model? Thanks

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月7日 GMT-4 13:22
I know this post is a year old so it's a long shot, but did you by any chance find a way to solve your problem? I'm encountering the same issue, where the simulation won't converge when using contact pairs.
I think the main problem is the fact that the surfaces aren't touching initially, and also that the area of surface contact is always changing as the membrane is pushed against the substrate.

If anyone has a solution to this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
I know this post is a year old so it's a long shot, but did you by any chance find a way to solve your problem? I'm encountering the same issue, where the simulation won't converge when using contact pairs. I think the main problem is the fact that the surfaces aren't touching initially, and also that the area of surface contact is always changing as the membrane is pushed against the substrate. If anyone has a solution to this problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.