Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parametric Curve Issue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello.

I'm trying to build something representative of a woven pattern in COMSOL and I'm having an issue with the parametric curves I'm using to build the geometry.

In theory, by the way the parametric curves are defined (using simple sine and cosine waves), when I enable Rotate 1 in the attached model, the geometries should be an exact fit with no overlap. However, if you zoom in on where the point of one fiber touches the fiber going perpendicular to it, it can be seen that the fibers overlap and cut into each other (Figure 1, attached). I determined while investigating that the issue lies in the definition of the curve used as the path for Sweep 1; if you look at the geometry defined in Work Plane 3, this path (in blue) at the midway point (x = 25 um) should touch the black point at (25,300) um. However, this is not the case and is almost 0.2um off from the mark (as shown in Figure 2).

Normally, I wouldn't concern myself with something as small as this; however, it causes issues whenever I get around to building the rest of my geometry. I'm not entirely sure how to get around this because it seems like it's somehow related to how COMSOL approximates the curves themselves. Any ideas on how to get around this? Thanks.

0 Replies Last Post 2015年5月26日 GMT-4 19:10
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Chris Boise

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.