Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time dependent contatc problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Recently, I want to simulate the indentation problem with COMSOL. So I need to consider about the contact problem. However, I found many discussion said COMSOL cannot solve the contact problem with the time-dependent study. I need to build my model with time-dependent study because I meanwhile consider about the heat transport problem. So, is it right COMSOL cannot solve the contatc problem like indentation with time dependent study? Thanks a lot.

Best,
Rong

2 Replies Last Post 2015年5月31日 GMT-4 21:31
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年5月31日 GMT-4 16:57
Hi,

COMSOL is well suited for solving the type of problem you describe. Depending on whether the problem is one-way coupled (deformations do not affect the heat transfer problem) or two-way coupled, you should use different strategies:

In the two-way case you must of course solve the two physics simultaneously using a time-dependent solver.

In the simpler one-way coupled case, it is far more efficient to first solve the heat transfer problem, and then solve the solid mechanics problem using a stationary continuation solver. No time-derivatives are involved for the structural problem (unless creep or viscoelasticity is present).

If you want to include friction in a time depndent analysis you should use version 5.0 or higher.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, COMSOL is well suited for solving the type of problem you describe. Depending on whether the problem is one-way coupled (deformations do not affect the heat transfer problem) or two-way coupled, you should use different strategies: In the two-way case you must of course solve the two physics simultaneously using a time-dependent solver. In the simpler one-way coupled case, it is far more efficient to first solve the heat transfer problem, and then solve the solid mechanics problem using a stationary continuation solver. No time-derivatives are involved for the structural problem (unless creep or viscoelasticity is present). If you want to include friction in a time depndent analysis you should use version 5.0 or higher. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年5月31日 GMT-4 21:31

Hi Henrik,

My problems includes two- way coupling, so I think I need the a time-dependent solver. Maybe a 5.0 version is helpful to solve my problem. Thanks a lot. I got a lot of help from you!

Best,
Rong
Hi Henrik, My problems includes two- way coupling, so I think I need the a time-dependent solver. Maybe a 5.0 version is helpful to solve my problem. Thanks a lot. I got a lot of help from you! Best, Rong

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.