Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laminated Composite Structures

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

Are there methods in COMSOL for creating laminated thin elements (length to height ratio > 1000) that will allow large deformations? I am working with electrostrictive and magnetically active materials and I would like to layer them on top of each other in my model (in a cantilever configuration), which is why I have been looking into shell elements recently (I had another thread about shell elements).

I have tried using electromagnetics (mf) and electromechanics (emi) modules before with solid elements but the solutions failed to converge as the structure was too thin and the deformations were too large. Now I am looking into creating internal stresses within the electrostrictive layer (such as through a body load in shell elements) and a distributed moment for magnetically active layers (also through body loads). However, I cannot find a way to create multilayered shell elements. The closest option to a solution I have found within shells was the z-offset but I am still figuring out how it works. Are there any COMSOL example that uses this feature?

Any other relevant COMSOL examples would be useful too.

Thank you,
Anil Erol
Penn State University

0 Replies Last Post 2015年6月4日 GMT-4 12:48
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Anil Erol

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.