Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Free Convection: Stationary or Time-Dependent Study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

So far in all my free convection simulations I have used Time-Dependent Study but it takes a lot of time, weeks and even months to get the results. The point is I am not interested in transient study, I am looking for steady-state solution. I have seen some models from Application Gallery (Natural Convection Cooling of a Vacuum Flask, Free Convection in a Water Glass, etc.) and I have replicated them using my case, however, it is not converging. But if run the same model with time-dependent study Comsol is solving it but too slowly as I mentioned before. Any idea and/or help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Akim

2 Replies Last Post 2017年3月28日 GMT-4 10:49
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Akim Borbuev

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年3月28日 GMT-4 09:06
Hi
I have the same problem did you find a solution or not
Hi I have the same problem did you find a solution or not

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年3月28日 GMT-4 10:49
Hello,
You may want to try this technique:
www.comsol.com/blogs/viscosity-ramping-improves-the-convergence-of-cfd-models/
It may also be that your system has no true steady-state solution, but only an oscillatory time-varying solution. In that case, you will need to run the transient model, but in that case, use probes:
www.comsol.com/blogs/probing-your-simulation-results/
to monitor your solution at a few key points of interest. If the solution is oscillating about a value, then it is reasonable to stop the solution without running to completion.
Hello, You may want to try this technique: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/viscosity-ramping-improves-the-convergence-of-cfd-models/ It may also be that your system has no true steady-state solution, but only an oscillatory time-varying solution. In that case, you will need to run the transient model, but in that case, use probes: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/probing-your-simulation-results/ to monitor your solution at a few key points of interest. If the solution is oscillating about a value, then it is reasonable to stop the solution without running to completion.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.