Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meaning for some parameters

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am doing some simulation about microfludics and I used laminar flow, however, I don't understand some terms. What's the meaning for 'Entrance thickness'? I used 2D simulation.
Looking forward to your reply!

3 Replies Last Post 2015年7月18日 GMT-4 10:30
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年7月17日 GMT-4 02:56
Hi

I'm not 100% sure I get this right, but are you aware that all 2D simulations are in fact 3D models for which you define the depth Z (in the paper direction).

For most physics this depth is normalised to 1[m] but if you enter absolute values for flux on the boundaries such as an absolute flow, through a 2D boundary = edge you need to define the section (Z depth) and that is what I suspect you are referring to. There might be different "depths" for different entities in your model too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not 100% sure I get this right, but are you aware that all 2D simulations are in fact 3D models for which you define the depth Z (in the paper direction). For most physics this depth is normalised to 1[m] but if you enter absolute values for flux on the boundaries such as an absolute flow, through a 2D boundary = edge you need to define the section (Z depth) and that is what I suspect you are referring to. There might be different "depths" for different entities in your model too -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年7月18日 GMT-4 10:08
Hi,
Yes, it is what you says. When I am defining an inlet for a laminar flow, I need to enter the 'entrance thickness' for the inlet. So I am sure this time and thank you for your timely help!

Best regards,
Jun
Hi, Yes, it is what you says. When I am defining an inlet for a laminar flow, I need to enter the 'entrance thickness' for the inlet. So I am sure this time and thank you for your timely help! Best regards, Jun

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年7月18日 GMT-4 10:30
Hi,
One more question. Since in 2D simulation, we need to define the entrance thickness for one specific plane, so is it supposed that the plane must be the base of 3D? Thanks.

Yours
Jun
Hi, One more question. Since in 2D simulation, we need to define the entrance thickness for one specific plane, so is it supposed that the plane must be the base of 3D? Thanks. Yours Jun

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.