Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating S and P Polarised EM Waves

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate a plane wave with either S or P polarisation incident upon a nanoparticle on a substrate at various angle of incidence (phi and theta). Following the Scatterer on a Substrate model I have managed to do this for a S polarised plane wave using the follwing port conditions:

INCIDENT
x| -sin(phi)*exp(-i*(kbx*x+kby*y))
y| cos(phi)*exp(-i*(kax*x+kay*y))
z| 0

Propogation| abs (kaz)

TRANSMITTED (Through Substrate)

x| -sin(phi)*exp(-i*(kbx*x+kby*y))
y| cos(phi)*exp(-i*(kbx*x+kby*y))
z| 0

Could somebody please explain how this is derived for the model as the pdf doesnt really explain this. Also how would i modify this to have P polarisation incident?

Many Thanks Josh

1 Reply Last Post 2015年8月3日 GMT-4 11:07

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年8月3日 GMT-4 11:07
I think I may have found the solution to this after reading the Fresnel Equation Model. In there they simply switch between TE and TM polarisation by changing the port input quantity from electric field to magnetic field. Thanks anyway
I think I may have found the solution to this after reading the Fresnel Equation Model. In there they simply switch between TE and TM polarisation by changing the port input quantity from electric field to magnetic field. Thanks anyway

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.